Join now - be part of our community!

Folders Display Content In New Window

profile.country.en_GB.title
Appoloyon
Visitor

Folders Display Content In New Window

Hi I have a VAIO AR11S, I am having some problems with the OS (MS Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005). The problems started when I was browsing the control panel, attempting to change the folder icon. Control Panel>Folder Options, I then clicked on the 'File Types' tab and selected 'File Folder' I then clicked the 'Advanced' button, The 'Edit File Types' window appears, from here i clicked on the 'Change Icon...' button an attempted to change the icon. It was this process that caused many problems to occur with the OS. Whenever I opened a folder the content would not be displayed, instead the 'Search Results' window would appear (The same as if you were to go Start>Search or right click a folder and select 'Search'). What had happened, was the default action for left clicking on a folder had become 'Search' instead of 'Open'. I did manage to get a fix for this problem: Navigate back to the 'Edit File Types' window for the 'File Folder' (Control Panel>Folder Options>File Types>File Folder>Advanced) and click on 'New' and enter:

Action:explore
Application used to perform action: explorer.exe

I clicked 'OK' and then clicked on 'Set Default' for the newly created action. This fixed the problem of the 'Search Results' window opening as the default action, the folders now open and display content as they should. However the second problem, which was a result of the same process, I was not able to find a fix for. This was that the content of every folder opened in a new window. I have tried Tools>Folder Options, but the radio button was set to 'Open each folder in the same window'. I have tried Tools>Folder Options>Restore Defaults. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to fix this without the need to use the recovery discs. Any information or help is appreciated :slight_smile:

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi black_chemical,

welcome to Club vaio, :slight_smile:

Go to Start > Control Panel > Appearance and Themes > Folder Options..

A new windows should open, In the Genral Tab you should have three sections Tasks, Browse Section and go to the Browse Folders and Click items as follows..

In the Browse folders section click Open each folder in it's own window and then Apply and OK.. :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
Appoloyon
Visitor

Hi Thalamus,

Thanks for the reply but that fix doesn't seem to work for me. The 'Open each folder in it's own window' option is already selected. I have tried selecting the other option and applying that, then returning to the original option but that doesn't seem to work either.

Thanks for trying :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi black_chemical

The only solution I can find involves editing the registry, I don't know if it will work or not though.. :thinking:

Have a look here..

If you decide to edit the registry fix make sure you back up your registry first.. :wink: