Join now - be part of our community!

free disk space keeps going down

steppie
Visitor

free disk space keeps going down

HELP :cry: i have a pcg-k315m, since yesterday i noticed i had only 100m free on my c-drive, so i cleaned it up to 3gb, today it only had 78mb free and it's going down by the minute. I checked with ad-aware and norton, but didn't find anything. i even cleaned temps and recovery files.What's going on with my hdd? and what should i do!!

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

That is definitely un-normal, and I have no idea in this moment.:smileysad:

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

If there are files being created or modified then we need to know the names of some of them to try & tie down what the issue is.

kee-lo_

Are you making DVDs?
Are you using Photoshop a lot?

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

mmmh, Photoshop deletes his temp files, if you turn off Photoshop.
That's not the problem.

But true, the names of the modified files are interesting.

steppie
Visitor

found something: there's a file called : vsmon.exe-39246213.pf in windows\prefetch, according to zonealarm the file vsmon.exe (without 39246 etc) should ONLY be found in \system32, when i delete the file in prefetch , it keeps coming back. could this be the thing?and if so, how do i get rid of the little bugger!!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

If your Adware scanner is picking nothing up, and my guess is that you do have something nasty on your hard disk, then I suggest that you try a support forum such as TSF
You will find plenty of help and guidance there.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
GBS
Visitor

Hi

I recommend using Bazooker scanner. I have found spyware with this which has been missed by other scaners.
Download it here.

I also suggest an online security check which you can do here.

Hope this helps

robpaxton
Explorer

found something: there's a file called : vsmon.exe-39246213.pf in windows\prefetch

That file is created by Windows to speed up program launching. It is normal and is not related to your problem.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Open Windows search and then tick the Advanced box. Choose to search for all files created since you last cleaned up the drive and then search all your drives. Sort the results by size and see if any very large files are there.

I must admit off the top of my head I'm a bit stumped.