Join now - be part of our community!

FW1E - Windows 7 upgrade problems

hardya
Visitor

FW1E - Windows 7 upgrade problems

I'm trying to perform an in-place upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows Home Premium. I ran the upgrade advisor, no problems reported.

Ran the upgrade, gets to near to the end "Transferring files, settings, and programs" and then at some point later I get a message saying that the upgrade could not be completed successfully.

Any idea how I can find out what is going wrong?

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi hardya and welcome.

Most people have completed an In-Place upgrade without any problems. Were there any other messages displayed? Windows 7 must have given you more information.

Does Windows 7 run normally if you try to boot into it? It could be that just one of your installed programs is incompatible and you will not be able to use it. It is also not uncommon for the Graphics Driver or the keypad to fail the upgrade.

What happens if you try to boot your Vaio now? Does Windows 7 run at all?

:thinking:

hardya
Visitor

There were no other messages from Windows 7 upgrade.

Windows 7 performed a rollback to Vista, so I only see the message having logged back into Vista.

Any idea where Windows 7 upgrade might write useful messages?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Google finds this quite a common problem.

If you go here: -

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/975253

you will see that it shows you how to access the \\Panther\setupact.log which may help. Don't follow the solution given unless your install stalls at exactly 62%.

It seems a service is probably running in the background so try these before you try to reinstall: -

1. Disable any security software before attempting to upgrade
2. Make sure your computer is updated (windows, devices and applications)
3. Disconnect any external devices before installing.

:wink:

hardya
Visitor

you will see that it shows you how to access the \\Panther\setupact.log which may help.

A huge log file, no obvious reason for failure given - are there any keywords I should be looking for?

hardya
Visitor

Well, un-installed Kaspersky Internet Security (previously disabled), removed Citrix client, Gnu Privacy Guard and ran CCleaner to tidy up the registry.

Installed!!!

Not sure what made the difference, just happy to have finally arrived.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Nice One!!

:smileygrin: :smileygrin: