Join now - be part of our community!

FX 701 - Two Problems, any help please ???

KAZZBAR
Visitor

FX 701 - Two Problems, any help please ???

:cry:
Greeting Vaio Users..Can anyone help with two problems I am having with my 701 please ?
!st, I have been having problems with screen/systems freeze ups almost from when I got my Vaio (almost two years now, and no solution yet)!!
My system will just freeze up completly at random, regardless of what I am doing at the time (sometimes 4 or 5 times a day, sometimes I can go a couple of days with no problems)
The machine is kept up to date with all the MS patches etc and I do regular maintainance with Ad Aware, Norton AV and purge the machine of junk at least every week etc etc
The only clues that I can find are two entries in the event veiwer (both under system and both apear twice) that alaways show up after a crash.
They are- Application popup - machine check
And Application popup - machine check : regs (both event id 26)
I should also mention that when the system/screen freezes I have no option but to hit the power button (god I hate doing that) because nothing at all works , not even task manager.
I did read somewhere that this might be a compatability issue between sony and AMD components (any truth in that rumour)?

Secondly, just recently I have been having a problem with the Disk Clean up tool. When I attempt to use it, it will go as far as saying its checking commpressed files then stop and go no further. It also then seems that it is running the CPU at 100% !! (when I check perfomance in task manager it says Cleanmgr.exe is hogging all the resources)

Right thats it, SORRY for waffling for so long but its really getting on my T*TS now and hoped that some of you guys and gals might be able to point me in the right direction.

Im a huge fan of Sony products and have always rated them highly, but this (Vaio) has been my first real let down.

Thanks for anyone who reads this or offer any help.

Cheers for now,

Andy.

Ps.Was a bad day today (crashed twice while trying to post on here...Poxy thing)!!

25 REPLIES 25
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sounds like the unit is overheating to me.
I would have it checked out by a well known computer store in your area.

KAZZBAR
Visitor

Hi Kee-lo, thanks for your reply.
I dont think it got anything to do with over heating though, because it can happen as soon as I boot up sometimes.
The only info I got from Sony was "just re-install" which would be a real pain and not really very helpfull.
I had a local (supossed) expert look it over but he did not have a clue !!
If you have any more ideas I would be most greatful.

Cheers and best regards,

Andy.

Qbix
Visitor

What BIOS version are you using? Do you have a XP SP1 installed? I would question whether you have a problem with an old BIOS.

Info from - http://myplc.com/sony/

Bios Version R0121K5 This Bios was released by Sony on around September 19, 2002.

Issues fixed in R0121K5

After installing Windows XP Service Pack 1:The computer freezes due to a system conflict that occurs with Quick Fix Engineering (QFE) 317277 which is contained in Windows XP Service Pack 1.

After installing Windows XP Service Pack 1:The computer hangs when a USB 2.0 hard drive is connected via an NEC USB 2.0 PCMCIA PC card.

Q

KAZZBAR
Visitor

Hi Qbix,
Thanks for your reply, after checking which version of bios i am running at the moment, the details I found were as follows...
Sony 6040000 Phoenix Bios 4 0 Release Ver 1.00PARTTBL 04/29/02.
I have seen and downloaded the newer version (Ro121K5) but have not installed it yet (dispite the guide from the Sony site which seems fairly simple... it worries me a bit to do so without being sure im doing the right thing)!

Yes, XP SP1 has been installed for some time now.

Am I to asume that I need to find and un-install the QEF 317277 update that you mention if I do install the newer version of the bios ?
If so, what is the safest way to do this and where will it be ? I do not see it in the Add or Remove section with the other updates (sorry if im being dumb)!

And just to be a REAL pain, could you explain to me why I have updates marked up as SP2 in the add / remove progame please ? (I never noticed them before)

Thanks for your time and I hope you might be able to enlighten me some more !

Best Regards,

Andy.

KAZZBAR
Visitor

Ps (Qbix)
I have just gone over the the site you posted in your message and it looks like it could be a usfull addition to the favorites list, thanks.
Reading it looks like I missed the point a little (that the bios update will SOLVE the problem caused by the QFE update and I dont actually have to find and delete/disable it)??

Cheers for now, and I await with baited breath for your reply.:smileygrin:

Qbix
Visitor

Andy,

You're corrrect the BIOS update is meant to sort out the SP1 QFE problem mentioned and I don't think there is any need to remove the hotfix before updating.

The update process is pretty simple just read the info on http://myplc.com/sony/. I had loads of freezes every day which only the BIOS update cured. I think I have had one unrelated(?) freeze since. Just be warned that the process finishes very abruptly - you will believe everything has gone wrong and that everything is screwed up until it (hopefullly) reboots. Make sure you read the health warning!

You may wish to also update the Via 4-in-1 drivers too (first?) as some people have reported freezes which have been cured by updating them.

I haven't noticed the XP SP2 tags. SP2 is under beta test so I presume they have released a few fixes early.

Q

KAZZBAR
Visitor

:slight_smile: Greetings again Qbix,

Many thanks for the info and putting up with my pityfull rants !

At last some positive and constructive infomation, especially as you have had good results sorting out your own problems.
I have spent hours rummaging about on the internet chasing clues etc, only to find that what starts out as a promising forum or info page ends with an un-conclusive ending (always seems just as im getting there it falls down at the death)!

I shall try the bios update and see what happens and get back to you with the results, and Yeah, I did read somewhere that the update process is a bit scary !!

I also got to reading about the Via 4-in-1 drivers somewhere but the info where I read it ended up going over my head (think it was mainly to do with which version to use) but I shall check again in more depth to make sure I understand what I am doing (again good to hear that I was at least looking in the right direction - maybe Im not totally pathetic)!

Thanks for your help mate,
I'll let you know how it works out.

Cheers for now,

Andy.

leven
Visitor

Hi

Disk Cleanup

Give the following a try as your Disk Cleanup is probably freezing when it hits the Compress Old Files.

Go to the link below and scroll down to 48 and you'll see the "Disk Cleanup - Compress Old Files Freezes" Fix in the right column, download it and run it which should correct your problem.
"To use the Regedits: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Just click on the words "Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freezes" NOT the underscored word "Undo"

Elaine

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Elaine,

Does this just skip compressing old files?
Because it's a pain when it's searching and it takes forever - all you want to do is empty the temp folders and recycle bin !