Join now - be part of our community!

FX 701 - Two Problems, any help please ???

KAZZBAR
Visitor

FX 701 - Two Problems, any help please ???

:cry:
Greeting Vaio Users..Can anyone help with two problems I am having with my 701 please ?
!st, I have been having problems with screen/systems freeze ups almost from when I got my Vaio (almost two years now, and no solution yet)!!
My system will just freeze up completly at random, regardless of what I am doing at the time (sometimes 4 or 5 times a day, sometimes I can go a couple of days with no problems)
The machine is kept up to date with all the MS patches etc and I do regular maintainance with Ad Aware, Norton AV and purge the machine of junk at least every week etc etc
The only clues that I can find are two entries in the event veiwer (both under system and both apear twice) that alaways show up after a crash.
They are- Application popup - machine check
And Application popup - machine check : regs (both event id 26)
I should also mention that when the system/screen freezes I have no option but to hit the power button (god I hate doing that) because nothing at all works , not even task manager.
I did read somewhere that this might be a compatability issue between sony and AMD components (any truth in that rumour)?

Secondly, just recently I have been having a problem with the Disk Clean up tool. When I attempt to use it, it will go as far as saying its checking commpressed files then stop and go no further. It also then seems that it is running the CPU at 100% !! (when I check perfomance in task manager it says Cleanmgr.exe is hogging all the resources)

Right thats it, SORRY for waffling for so long but its really getting on my T*TS now and hoped that some of you guys and gals might be able to point me in the right direction.

Im a huge fan of Sony products and have always rated them highly, but this (Vaio) has been my first real let down.

Thanks for anyone who reads this or offer any help.

Cheers for now,

Andy.

Ps.Was a bad day today (crashed twice while trying to post on here...Poxy thing)!!

25 REPLIES 25
KAZZBAR
Visitor

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Elaine !!
WOH !!! the answers are coming thick and fast now !!

I will give your suggestion a try too.

Thanks for the input Guys and Gals, I will let you know how it all goes as soon as I have a moment (nights are leaving my brain in a delapidated state)! so I will be getting all your ideas into motion as of Thursay I hope.

Ps. I hope you wont mind me comming back on here (tail between legs) if I manage to guff it all up though !!!!:smileytongue:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Ps. I hope you wont mind me comming back on here (tail between legs) if I manage to guff it all up though !!!!:smileytongue:

Come back whenever you want :slight_smile:

SilverZero
Visitor

An other reason for the random freezes could be an old via 4in1 driver, (happens espeacially during divx or dvd viewing). www.viaarena.com be your friend ;-).

i had the freezing too, even with the last bios version, there is also a patch for this QFE fix on the vaio-link page (only US page). I posted the whole issue in an other thread, pleas be so kind and do a search *hint* for it.

kee-lo_

The search facility is no more :cry:

KAZZBAR
Visitor

:laughing: YES !! HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN !!!!

Fantastic ! three days in and NO freeze ups to report !

Just like to send thanks to everyone who took the time to read and reply to my post, Qbix and Leven (Elaine) in particular.

The Bios update was not quite as scary as I thought it would be and seems to have resolved a lot of issues that were giving me so much grief. I will wait a week or so berore trying any other updates just to see how things go.
(Im well chuffed)!!

Thanks also for the link to (and successful repair) for the disk clean up utillity (what a great site) its worked perfectly ever since the patch was applied.

Before I go off for some more (trouble free computing) I was just wondering what exactly the benifits (or what issues might be resolved) by updating the Via 4 in 1 drivers as has be mentioned ??

Once again.... Thanks to everyone for your help and its nice to know (at last) I can find freindly and helpfull advice from a forum especially for Sony.

Best regards,

Andy. :laughing:

kee-lo_

Once again.... Thanks to everyone for your help and its nice to know (at last) I can find freindly and helpfull advice from a forum especially for Sony.

Glad we could help.
Elaine seems to be a wizz at fixing FX notebooks :slight_smile:

KAZZBAR
Visitor

:cool: Thanks also to you Kee-Lo for your time and efforts.

FAO ELAINE (If I might be so bold)

Elaine, although I should probably start a new post elsewhere with this question, I will ask anyway (It is linked Loosely with your post earlier and the Kelly's Corner link you advised me to check out)

After getting the reg file to repair the disk clean up tool, I noticed on line 55 (right hand list) "Increase IE Downloads to 10".
Would this uttillity work with regards to speeding up downloading files and generally sufing the internet quicker ? (I have a horribly slow dial up conection thanks to my location).

I have tried a couple of download managers (The latest being from Fresh Devices) which seem to have made no difference at all ! and am always wary of spyware etc, although it seems this one has none.

Unless I am missing something on the site (Kelly's) there is not any guide as to what some of the tools do. I know some are self explanetry but, a guide as to what some do or how they work would be helpful for reletive novices like myself. (Damm, Im starting to waffle now)!

So to cut a long story short.....Would using the uttillity mentioned, be benificial please ?

Thanks for your time (again)

Kind regards,

Andy.

kee-lo_

Hi Andy.

I don't think that would help to be honest, I'm not sure why it's there.

Try Mozilla, it's faster to render webpages.

KAZZBAR
Visitor

:slight_smile:
Greetings again Kee-Lo,
Yes I have heard quite good reports about Mozilla and will ivestigate some more. The thing I am trying to improve most though is, the speed of actual downloads.
The best I seem to achieve is a measly 4 or 5 kbs and something like a 1 meg download takes between 8 - 10 minutes !! (in my book thats horribly slow)??

Any more advice you could offer please ?

Cheers mate,

Andy.

kee-lo_

4/5k/sec on 56k is the norm, nothing more can be done.
Just hope broadband comes to your area.