Join now - be part of our community!

Graphics chip upgrade for old Sony Vaio PCV-RS 404 Computer

SOLVED

Graphics chip upgrade for old Sony Vaio PCV-RS 404 Computer

Hello, Can I upgrade my Sony Vaio PCV-RS 404's  old  ATI Radeon 9200 Graphics chip (with 128 MB SDRAM).

I managed to upgrade my RAM from 1mb to 3 mb and hope to make a similar improve in my graphice.

What type/name etc chip is compatible to replace my current one. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Phil Edinburgh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi phil1edinburgh and welcome.

Before looking for a better graphics card, check your PCV-RS404's Power Supply.  If this is inadequate for an uprated graphics card, the cost of a new, upgraded power supply (even if you can get one to fit) and a new graphics card will almost certainly be prohibitive.

If the PSU is under 300watts, you will probably have a problem.

Google for an ATi 512MB AGP graphics card - it may be worth trying eBay for an old X1900GT AGP.

:wink:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi phil1edinburgh and welcome.

Before looking for a better graphics card, check your PCV-RS404's Power Supply.  If this is inadequate for an uprated graphics card, the cost of a new, upgraded power supply (even if you can get one to fit) and a new graphics card will almost certainly be prohibitive.

If the PSU is under 300watts, you will probably have a problem.

Google for an ATi 512MB AGP graphics card - it may be worth trying eBay for an old X1900GT AGP.

:wink:

Blencogo

Thank you very much for your helpful advice - the power is 330w so I will try your suggestions. Sony UK came back to me and said they didn't approve of any upgrades to their machines so wouldn't help me find any suitable graphic chips.

thanks again

Phil