Join now - be part of our community!

Graphics chip?

nat0992
New

Graphics chip?

Hi,

I have a Sony Vaio (VPCEB1E0E) laptop which has recently stopped performing the hibernate or sleep functions. It will also not run iTunes or my Sims game, and when I play YouTube videos on fullscreen, the picture is pixellated and not in time with the sound. After researching this, I found that the issue could be with the graphics chip, does this sound right? I have heard of other people with graphics chip problems who have stripes across the screen - I do not have this problem. I rang a Sony verified repairs centre who told me that in order to repair it they would need to replace the motherboard - is this correct? Or is there anything else I can do? This problem occured not long after my laptop came back from having its hardrive replaced, I'm wondering whether the graphics chip could have been damaged in the process?

Thanks for your time,

Nat.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Nat, Try attaching an external monitor and check whether the problem is still evident – this should eliminate a problem with the built in monitor and cabling. If anything has gone wrong during the repair it is more likely to be the cabling rather than the chip itself. You could also try reinstalling the original graphics driver. If it is a graphics chip problem then yes the motherboard will almost certainly need to be replaced. Rich
Go n-éirí an bóthar leat