Join now - be part of our community!

GRX series 2nd RAM slot issue

phil.howard
Visitor

GRX series 2nd RAM slot issue

Take heart - There is a solution
For those of us GRX users who have experienced the 2nd RAM slot failure I have now managed to get my machine fixed by Sony. Regreatably not with out cost but compaired to most laptop repair companies who charge a fixed fee Sony only charged me £81.22. This included collection from home, transport to the repair centre (in Belgium), analysis of the problem, carrying out the repairf and transport back again.
My machine is now running 512Mb RAM ( 2 x 256Mb units)
If you want to use this service contact E-Support, tell them what you want and they can arrange it all. They actually resoldered the RAM sockets to the motherboard, problem fixed !!
Hope this info is of use to other Vaio users with the same problem.
philh@ntlworld.com

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Thanks for that info, I'm sure a lot of members will be relieved to hear they can have it fixed for 80 quid.

tellingd
Visitor

That is VERY good news. Did the support guys admit this was a common problem with GRX's?

kee-lo_

That is VERY good news.  

Couldn't agree more, but you can bet someone is going to moan.

tellingd
Visitor

That is VERY good news.  

Couldn't agree more, but you can bet someone is going to moan.

Oh Kee-Lo, please don't tell me you've turned into a jaded old cynic - like me :wink:

kee-lo_

Nope, but I know some people on this board, and they complain :slight_frown:

phil.howard
Visitor

Sony will NEVER admit there is a problem but at least they seem to have not only found a solution but also a reasonable price compaired to other repairers.

kee-lo_

Yes I have to agree £80 is good if it means your GRX is going to be in good working condition.

And there was me wondering why very few places offered RAM upgrades for my GRX :tongue: