Join now - be part of our community!

GRX series

effi
Visitor

GRX series

Hi Guys

Hi guys I have fiew questions

1) In the vaio European site there are some OS (windows XP) system updates do I need to install all of them or the most up to date?
Arnt the same as the XP updates Im downloding verry often automatic...?

2)Im thinking to install Linux. Any experience on that???

3) Also this my hard drive works alot. even if my computer is idle the hard drive working all time....what can i do??

4) Any proper step by step instruction for correct bios so the mem can run at 266??

Thanks

:thinking:

15 REPLIES 15
William
Visitor

I would personally install all the updates available if any such as the XP have already been installed by XP's own update facility then the installation just ends quickly, I am assuming it checks to see if it is already installed.

Regarding the Bios update even the latest available European update does not cure the memory speed issue.

I speak, hopefully with some authority, as I have a now retired GRX upgraded from 1.6 to 2.2GHz and I cured the memory speed issue by using a bios RO246 f rom the USA Vaio site.

RO220 will do the trick but if you have a processor >2GHz the speed may be incorrectly reported by XP in My Computer.

All the details / answers can be found here:

http://p200.ezboard.com/funofficialsonyfrm8.showMessage?topicID=1420.topic

You may or not be aware that bios updates interrogate the Vaio to check the model number. Without going into all the details now you will need to prepare a valid bios floppy disk and then overwrite the bios file with the USA bios. This will then pass the checks and the bios will install and the memory speed will be rectified.

Please remember Bios updates are not for the faint hearted.

Regarding the hard disk continually working (Clicking?) I installed some Intel software available for download which cured this. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was called. Try a search at Vaio Village for "hard drive clicking".

Finally Linux, can't help there I am afraid - Never used it.

William

William
Visitor

I noticed that you copied and pasted your above post to Vaio Village in its entirety.

They do have a search facility (unlike here) and the answers to your hardware questions are there already.

Next time I will just post the link, it will save me a lot of typing

William:smileycry:

effi
Visitor

Thanks mate

very good answeres....now I understand

Yes it seems I was desperate so why I post it also to Vaio Vilage

Did you also upgrade the Ram to 1G?
I think that there are not 266 ram modules any more
so i was wondering if 333 will do the job...

Also did you see a big difference by upgrating to 2.2 P4 ?
Is this the max you can go?

Thanks again

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Ah the good old GRX :smileygrin:
I would get all the updates, as it makes Windows safer.
As for the BIOS if it aint broke....

The hard disk in the GRX series does like to park quite often when idle.

William
Visitor

My GRX came with 512Mb and I upgraded to 1Gb which is the max.

Yes I did notice an improvement with the 2.2P4M but this highlighted the limitations of the hard disk. I believe a 2.6P4M is the max but remember more speed = more heat is being produced so keep your fans clean.

If you are serious then get yourself at least a 5400rpm drive but preferably a Hitachi 7200rpm and then it will fly.

This is the Intel software you might like to try for the hard disk:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=N&ProductID=757&DwnldID=4857

Alas all my efforts were somewhat wasted due to the more and more widespread GRX memory slot problems.

My advice bite the bullet and buy another laptop.

I can't even suggest Sony as the non working memory slot problem seems to rearing its head in other Vaio series almost daily.

Look here and Vaio Village to see how widespread the problem is becoming.

I suspect your laptop is by now out of warranty but if not please bear in mind that even a bios update to the USA version (unless you flash it back should the need arise) will invalidate any remaining warranty.

William

kee-lo_

Yeah it's a sad state of afairs. Ah well, onwards and upwards...

effi
Visitor

Thanks again mate

No problem with RAM slot yet....If it arise I ll probably do the soldering my self.
I believe that some of the fuctorys which did the motherbord soldering had bad tuning machines.
So I hope not all vaios will have this RAM slot problem.

I fixed the hard drive clicking as you proposed. Now looks good

The good think is that at least you can do some upgrates....
plus the 16" screen resolution (1600x1200) will remain on top for many years. If we could only upgrate to ATI 9200 that would be grade....

Do you know if 333 ram ould be OK ? I dont think that I cant find 266 RAM any more.....

Also do you know if this 7600 hard drive generates more heat?

Thanks
Guys

William
Visitor

Not sure about RAM speed but I guess its OK to put faster memory in but not slower.

I have not read of any adverse reports with the 7200rpm HDD, in fact I have only read good things.

William

kee-lo_

As William said, 7200RPM has had pretty good reports - no massive overheating issues.

I heard that too about the soldering machines. Apparenbtly ASUS made the boards.... so much for big brands making quality products 'eh?