Join now - be part of our community!

HAL.DLL FILE CORRUPT OR MISSING (SOLVED, SEE LAST MESSAGE)

Dylan-Bob
Visitor

HAL.DLL FILE CORRUPT OR MISSING (SOLVED, SEE LAST MESSAGE)

Dear VAIO-users,

Instead of using the VAIO recovery kit, I used True Image to make a back-up of my C-drive. I also made a bootable CD of True Image and of Partition Expert. After doing this, I deleted the (hidden) Recovery Partition and resized the three partions on my HD with Partition Expert.

The result of these actions is a HAL.dll error, which makes it impossible to use my VAIO. Many solutions are offered for this problem on the internet (via Google). But my problem is that I have no Windows recovery CDs and that I have not made a recovery kit with the software on my VAIO (as I thought the True Image back-up would do).

Unfortunately, putting the image of my C-drive (which was made when everything worked fine) back on my VAIO did not end the HAL.dll error. While putting an image back on my C-drive of my desktop has saved me a lot of trouble in the past.

I checked the image of my C-drive and that includes the HAL.dll file. So I guess that the problem is a corrupt and not a missing HAL.dll file. Changing parameters in the BOOT.INI file of my VAIO is mentioned in some forums as a possible solution. The bootable CDs give me still the opportunity to put images back at my VAIO and to change the size and other parameters of my partitions.

I hope that one of you knows how to solve the HAL.dll error.

Thanks in advance for your support!

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Dylan-Bob,

Unfortunately reproducing an image (such as Acronis) is prone to this sort of problem.

It would appear that your Hardware Abstraction Layer was either corrupted or has been corrupted during the imaging process.

If you can get hold of a Win XP CD you may be able to recover from the recovery console by typing the following at the command prompt:

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini > Enter
DEL C:\Boot.ini > Enter
BootCfg /Rebuild > Enter
Fixboot > Enter

If that fails then you may need to purchase a set of recovery disks from Support. This will cost approx. £55:smileysad:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Dylan-Bob,

It sounds to me like you have made an image of drive C: at a time when you had 3 partitions and your Windows installation was on Partition 2 (the Recovery Partiton being Partition 1).

Subsequently you have deleted Partition 1 and recovered from Image your old Drive C: - presumably to your new Partition 1 ? Your recovered Boot.ini is still directing the system to Partiton 2.

You will need to reinstall the image of C: to Partition 2 to get a working system

- or edit your Boot.ini to start in Partition 1

FROM

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

TO

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

and Save.

:wink:

EDIT: If you want to put C: onto Partition 1, you need to first reinstall it onto Partition 2 to get a working system, then edit Boot.ini and then make a new Image of C: which will boot in Partition 1. Then restore this new image to Partition 1. If it works, then format Partiton 2.

Does that make any sense at all? I think I've confused myself now!

:laughing:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I did confuse myself a bit! Just been to feed the horse and unmuddle my brain!

Rich's solution should also work in this scenario.

From the Command Prompt in the Recovery Console type

bootcfg /scan

to actually find the Windows installation - then

bootcfg /rebuild

to automatically replace the existing boot.ini file.

Sorry Rich, you were right all the time! :kissing:

:smileyblush:

Dylan-Bob
Visitor

Thanks for your swift response!

I already tried to create a hidden partition, followed by an active partition (where I put the image back) and a third partition. But I still got the error message.

The second alternative puzzles me: what do I need to be able to edit the boot.ini file?

Considering the third piece of advice: I found a colleague today who has a Windows XP CD, which I get tomorrow. This may solve the problem...

Today I also visited a True Image forum and there I read that the HAL.dll error has occured also at computers of other TI users (as one of you also wrote). Acronis also offered a customer support for this problem (which was not given on the forum itself), so if the XP CD will not work out, I will send them a message.

I also called the computer shop where I bought the VAIO and they advised me to contact Sony. They were not prepared to use a Windows XP CD in the shop to get my computer back on the right track. And if I understood you right, Sony can only offer me an expensive Recovery CD.

Thanks again for the support. If I find a solution, I will let you know.

Dylan-Bob
Visitor

Dear Blencogo and Rich,

I just solved the HAL.dll error!!! On the True Image forum I read about a program (FREEWARE!) with which you can create a bootable CD. I did this at my desktop and put the CD in my laptop. This enabled me through a number of clicks to edit the BOOT.INI file. Partition 2 was selected as bootable location. The confusing thing is that I thought that I created a partition before the C-drive (as you advised and as was shown by Partition Expert-screen), but this appreared to be untrue. After changing 2 into 1 (as you adviced) and rebooting, my laptop started as normal.

And now about the program: it is called BootIt Next Generation.
You can download it at
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html
Here is the short guide on how to take the right steps:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=234

Advice from this and the True Image forum, combined with the magnificent piece of FREE software BootIt NG has saved me a lot of time (and probably money). Luckily, I did not follow the shop's advice: stick with Sony and do not follow advice on forums.

THANKS A LOT, RICH AND BLENCOGO!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Dylan-Bob,

Congratulations - Well done!

Usually "One Of Us Must Know" on this forum.

The boot disc sounds like something we should all have for an emergency - "The Times They Are A-Changin'"

Really pleased you have sorted the problem - "It's All Over Now Baby Blue"

As for your Vaio - "Just Like A Woman"

:smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

LOL Blencogo,

"Most of the Time", "If Not for You"”, there would be "Mixed Up Confusion" here - "You Angel" :smileygrin:

Pleased to hear that you found a solution Dylan-Bob:smileyhappy:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

LOL Rich, :smileygrin:

On a Night Like This - All I Really Want To Do - Is - One More Cup Of Coffee - Under The Red Sky - with - Rainy Day Women Numbers 12 & 35 - at - The House Of The Rising Sun - then - On The Road Again - Down The Highway - At Ninety Miles An Hour - hair - Blowin' In The Wind - in a - Big Yellow Taxi - Goin' to Acapulco - Under A Blue Moon - With God On Our Side.

:smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
lyapple
New

Well it's clear you never listen to Dylan:smileylaugh: