Join now - be part of our community!

Hard Drive Failure

JamesHoward
Visitor

Hard Drive Failure

I have a PCG-C1VE . I was so disappointed by this forum. I signed up when my hard drive started to make odd (almost violent) noises. I couldn't find anything useful about this. Instinct told me to back everything up though. The lack of a simple look-up facility didn't help. I could find very little on hard-drive replacement. Not even about taking the back off (indeed there are guys who seem to spend their lives posting to this forum but don't know how to take the back off the machine).

The machine eventually went dead altogether. For anyone else who has this problem, take it to the little guy down the road. He diagnosed hard disc failure (easy bit that), took out the disc drive, got it spinning on a rig, did a ghost image of the whole thing (system, programs,data), put in a new 40 GB hard drive (old one was 13), reloaded all the data and guaranteed it for 12 months. 24 hour turnaround. £160. Cleaned out all the dust too. Even cleaned the screen.

Thought people would like to know how easy it is. Even just to get a bigger hard drive. It boots up way faster too.

16 REPLIES 16
TygerTyger
Visitor

Well in all fairness I see from your post count that this is your first post. Nobody is going to be able to help with you with your problem if you don't tell us what the problem is.

One of us usually can get to the bottom of a problem but no we aren't official support staff and we certainly aren't psychic. Violent noises is an easy one to diagnose, it is hardly our fault that a similar problem wasnt around at the time of looking.

No search is a pain yes, there will be one within the next week or two.

William
Visitor

I am sorry to read about your problem and your apparent dissatisfaction.

As has alreasdy been stated people who post here are not Sony employees and I think it is fair to say that Sony do not exactly encourage the disassembly of laptops.

The people here give up their own time to endeavour to help people with problems and I am sure that had you posted a description of your problem you would have been advised to back up your data and replace the HDD.

If you were fortunate enough to have a removeable disk then the replacement of your HDD should have been a relatively simple affair.

Speaking from experience I can assure you that I am very familiar with the innards of my GRX and the only accessible parts from the back of the machine are the RAM slots.

Enjoy your rejuvenated laptop.

William

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Great news about your C1 being fixed, sounds like a great store.

Remember: post a problem, you might get that answer you want.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Lol I know what you mean about the speed boost....I went from an 8gb HD to a 60Gb one.......shwing.

robpaxton
Explorer

indeed there are guys who seem to spend their lives posting to this forum but don't know how to take the back off the machine.

You should've asked before criticising:

Remove the battery and mains leads and eject any PC cards

Remove the back screws

There are five screws to remove. They are black and slightly longer than any other screws.

Remove the Silver caps

You need to pry both off and it is a bit touchy feely stuff. Be gently because they can split. Once removed you will find two miniature screws that can be removed. One is silver and one is black.

Remove the keyboard

The keyboard can be pried out. Slip a flat screwdriver in the gap where the red marks are, push back a little and lift. Hold the popped out side up while prying the other side off. When off be careful because the connecting ribbon cables are not very long.

Disconnect the Keyboard ribbon cable

To remove the cables gently pry the white connectors (FFC/FPC) up. You will need to do this from the left and right side a bit at a time until there is enough slack to remove the ribbon cables without force. Be careful as a broken connector or cable means the end of your Sony unless you are really adept at soldering.

Remove the Keyboard Housing

Remove two more ribbon cables and the three screws. The cover will now slip of although it may need a bit of gentle persuasion. It is best to lift it from right to left.

Remove the ribbon cable across the drive

Gently coax the connector as above to remove the ribbon cable. Only loosen the connector on the right hand side of the drive. Be gentle.

Remove the Power cable and undo the screws

Pull the black cable out of the connector. It is sticky but be persistent but gentle. Remove the three screws.

Remove the drive

The drive is connected to a ribbon cable. Gently pry this cable out with a flat screwdriver. Under no circumstances should you pull on this cable as it is fragile

TygerTyger
Visitor

LOL. I got one word for that Rob.

Touche.

robpaxton
Explorer

I was going to tell him where to find the service manual . . . . . but no! It's a secret :wink:

TygerTyger
Visitor

If the service manual says to post your problem before you've solved it I think you might be onto a winner there :wink:

robpaxton
Explorer

We should use telepathy - it would save all this inconvenient typing. Telekenesis would be handy for the dismantling process too!