Join now - be part of our community!

Hard Drive Space

leethepee
Visitor

Hard Drive Space

Hi,

I have a VGN-FZ18M Sony Vaio. When I bough it, its came with a 160 hard drive. With Vista installed I now have 139 left.

My question is, I have taken 3.5 GB worth in Music and 2.3 GB worth on photos. In terms of programs, I must be taken at most 4 GB. Why am I only left with 90 GB. If you sum up what I am taken with programs, music and photos it come to about 10 GB's.

Space left = 139 - 10 GB (programs, music etc) = 129. I have only 90 (39 GB missing??). What is taken up the remaining 39 GB's?

This would be most helpful if anyone can help.

Thanks

Lee

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi leethepee

The difference in hard drive size is partly due to the different way manufactures and Microsoft report the sizes..

Manufacturers use the SI scale for example 1KB = 1000 bytes

Microsoft, ie windows XP/Vista, use the binary, for example 1KB = 1024 bytes

Therefore manufactures 160 GB hard drive = 160,000,000,000 bytes.

Whereas MS 160 GB hard drive = 149 GB

example 160GB manufactures size converted to MS binary scale...

160Gb = 160,000,000,000

/1024 = 156250000 kilobytes
/1024 = 152588 megabytes
/1024 = 149 Gigabytes

Also you have a hidden recovery partition, which is probably 9.6 GB

You may be able to reclaim some space by following the tips in this thread: HERE

leethepee
Visitor

I understand the differences between how folk measure HD sizes thanks. I am still unsure however what is taken up this 39 GBs as it doesn't seem to relate to files, music and photos.

I do have a hidden partition, what is this used for and if I took this into consideration that would mean I have 29 GBs unaccounted for?

Please help

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You may be able to reclaim some space by following the tips in this thread: HERE

Did any of the tips in the link I provided help you to recover HDD space.?

leethepee
Visitor

thanks mate, it worked a treat.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Excellent.. :slight_smile:

leethepee
Visitor

is there anyway that you can cap the amount of space the pc takes for system restores? If I could work that out I would probably decrease it to be honest.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi leethepee.

You can decrease the Storage Space allocated to system restore, make sure you read the text before you actually reduce the allocated space, click the following link for a guide: Decrease Storage Space Allocated To System Restore