Join now - be part of our community!

hard drive?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
steady1967
Visitor

hard drive?

Hi all,my 1st post so be gentle please. Ive just purchased a VGN B1VP laptop off ebay with out a hard drive.The problem i have is tht i can't find a hard drive.Does anybody have any information for me please? I would have thought this was easu but i'm either typing in wrong info or they are like rocking horse s***.Any help would be appreciated.Regards Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It is a simple job to fit a new HDD as long as you have the carrier framework that slides into the slot on the outside of your Vaio.

B_HDD2.JPG

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Paul,

Your model was shipped with a Hitachi Travelstar 60GB 2.5” PATA/IDE hard drive.

Any 2.5” IDE drive up to 250GB should work.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
flogger12345
Visitor

Hi Steady. After you get the hard drive, you need a technician to do this for you since the process will be delicate. You can just go ahead and go to the nearest service center.

Good luck. http://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vbulletin-smile.gif

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It is a simple job to fit a new HDD as long as you have the carrier framework that slides into the slot on the outside of your Vaio.

B_HDD2.JPG

steady1967
Visitor

Thx every one.I actually found a compatable hard drive in my brother in law's packard bell easynote.I fitted it easily as i have the caddy.I now need to find some cheap memory as it only has 512mb and i want to see if it will run on Windows 7.Is this laptop worth spending money on? Cosmetically it is in good condition,it has a broken hinge and apart from a scratched lid that is it.Thx again

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Paul,

You can upgrade to 1536MB by adding a single 1GB module – this is the maximum that this model will support.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=VAIO%20VGN-B1%20Series&Cat=RAM

Whether this is enough to run Win 7 comfortably is debatable. It may be better to stay with Win XP...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat