Join now - be part of our community!

Harddisk problem on PCG-FR415M

jameshocking
Visitor

Harddisk problem on PCG-FR415M

Hi, Recently I have been having some trouble with my Vaio, with XP reporting the following in the event log "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.", and "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.".

Each time it has happened XP blue-screens on boot, and I retreat to the recovery console, and chkdsk to fix the problem. Most times I end up using the recovery disks to restore the computer, after chkdsk quits reporting an unrecoverable error. Its happening with ever more regularity.

The laptop is less than a year old and I assume it is still under guarantee? I cannot find information about contacting Sony support about the problem. Is there anything Sony can do?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

The laptop is less than a year old and I assume it is still under guarantee? I cannot find information about contacting Sony support about the problem. Is there anything Sony can do?

Absolutely! Since you have a guarantee you should visit VAIO-Link and get their phone number - its under Contact Information (from memory).

You should try this first:
1. Do a full system recovery - Sony may insist you do this anyway before it gets taken back in.
2, Backup your computer as they may install a new hard disk...

Its happening with ever more regularity.

This is a clear problem with the hard disk - its dying. Get a copy of Lavalys Home Edition to check the SMART statistics - ask me here if you don't undertand them... ...this is further ammunition you can fire at Sony since you can prove gradual deterioration with this tool...

Good Luck!

jameshocking
Visitor

Thank you :slight_smile: Sony have been incredibly helpful.