Join now - be part of our community!

HARDRIVE PROBLEMS

SwIfTy
Visitor

HARDRIVE PROBLEMS

I recently purchased a sony vaio fs215b, it has a 60 GB harddisc which has been partitioned into 2 parts as standard. I am happy with the partitioning its just the size allocated 2 each drive is confusing me, one being 20 Gb and the other 30 Gb, ive lost 10 Gb somewhere !
The only place i think it might have gone is 2 the allocated space for system recovery but surely not 10 Gb ?
Can anyone help me get this space back ?
cheers.

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Welcome to the forum swifTy.

Yes part of the difference is the recovery partition, approx 7/8Gb but there is another factor ¿ the way Windows reports drive size.

This hard drive would be 60,000,000,000 bytes.
1kb=1024 bytes=8192bits,
1Meg=1024K=1,048,576 bytes=8,388,608 bits,
1 Gig=1024megs=1,048,576K=1,073,741,824bytes=8,589,934,592bits,
and so on. Grab a calculator, do the maths and you will arrive at what Windows reports.

Well you did ask¿..:smileywink:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
SwIfTy
Visitor

thanks, so am i stuck with this 7/8 gb of system recovery? or is there a way of removing it? i read the post above and heard that someone was trying to copy it onto a cd/dvd, is this possible if so how becuase i could really do with the extra space

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

It is most important that you create the recovery CD/DVD¿s as this will be your only option to restore your system should you suffer a hard drive failure.
To create your recovery disks Click Start, All Programs, VAIO Recovery Tools, and then click VAIO Recovery CD Wizard.
Click OK to start the process and follow the instructions.
I suggest that you create more than one copy and keep them in a safe place.
Once you have the recovery disks and you are sure that they are working you can then delete the recovery partition ¿ I don¿t recommend this unless you really are short of space!
For a guide to this procedure, have a look at this.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

60GB in Windows = 57.8GB

SwIfTy
Visitor

Great its worked fine,thanks very much

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

That is good news SwifTy, thanks for updating us:smileyhappy:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat