Join now - be part of our community!

HDD Low transfer rates

Codasyl
Visitor

HDD Low transfer rates

Hi , I'm experiencing low transfer rates on my A195-EP, I've checked for the first time since i bought it and the rate was 1.3mb/s which is absolutely pathetic for a hard disk, by my opinion.So I've removed the drivers for the atapi devices in the device manager and after the restart I got it working using the DMA mode (was working on PIO before).The problem is that now the rate,even if it's grown, it barely reaches the 3.8mb/s which still remains pathetic for me.
Am I expecting too much or is there really someting going wrong? What do you think??
Where can I find the technical specs for the HDD mounted on this notebook? The manual only gives me the capacity 60gb.
:thinking:

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Download and run Everest Home Edition and have a look under Computer > Summary. Click on the `value¿ entry next to the drive and hopefully you will find a link to the manufactures product information.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Which UDMA use the harddisk? It must be mode 5 or higher.

Codasyl
Visitor

Which UDMA use the harddisk? It must be mode 5 or higher.

Yes, it's DMA mode 5 now , after removing the windows driver and restarting, but even if it's a bit faster now I believe it still remains too slow, what else can I do? A Hard disk can't be that slow!!! even when mounted on a notebook.

seb21__
Visitor

mmmh,

open the "devices manager" and click "drives" (there must be a number like these: IC25N060ATMR04-0 )That's your harddisk. Doubleclick on them and click "guidelines". Check whether the feature "using write cache" is activated.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

If you have an Intel chipset (Everest Home Edition will confirm this) it is worth downloading their Application Accelerator.
First use the chipset identifier and then download the correct accelerator from here.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Codasyl
Visitor

mmmh,

open the "devices manager" and click "drives" (there must be a number like these: IC25N060ATMR04-0 )That's your harddisk. Doubleclick on them and click "guidelines". Check whether the feature "using write cache" is activated.

Yes, the "write cache" feature is enabled but still no speed...

seb21__
Visitor

:thinking:

In the same menu must be 2 other points.

"optimized for fast removing" and "optimized for achievement"

Normally, these both features are in grey and you can't change them.
But the feature "optimized for achievement" must be enable.

If you have an Intel chipset (Everest Home Edition will confirm this) it is worth downloading their

It's a VGN a195EP the chipset is from ATI.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Seb

"Optimised for performance"

seb21__
Visitor

:smileygrin::smileygrin: :smileygrin:

Or "Für Leistung optimieren"