Join now - be part of our community!

HELP - DVD Rom Problem

Leetay
Visitor

HELP - DVD Rom Problem

Hi all

Just done a factory reset on the AR21m after a few problems.

However, the DVD Drive does not work now, when you put a CD in, it makes a few noises as though it is struggling to start, then stops.

When you goto My Computer and look in the DVD Ram Drive icon, it is just blank!

Is this a fault with the drive, if so why should it happen after a factory reset, it worked fine this ,morning??

Any ideas

Lee

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Lee,

Have a look in Device Manager to see if the drive is installed OK or if it has any yellow triangles against it. If it has a warning, double-click on it and see if there is an error code.

:thinking:

Leetay
Visitor

Hi

there is nothing in device manager, and now found out that some play, but most dont, i.e a word document burned onto a CD-R will play, but Office 2003, Printer drivers etc will not, very frustrating!!

There is now ! next to the imaging device, that has just appeared too, OMG its gets worse!!

What now, Vaio Link?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I would uninstall the DVD drive by right clicking on it in Device Manager and re-booting the Vaio to reinstall the drivers.

If you double-click on Imaging Device, what is the error displayed?

Leetay
Visitor

The imaging error has gone now (Seems to have a mind of its own this thing)

Tried uninstalling DVD and re-booting, still the same with Office 2003, but now when you try to eject it gives an error box saying:

Cannot open tray of optical drive, shut down or use a paper clip or similar straight object to open ....................................... and so on

this has come up a few times now, and i've had to open it manually with a micro screwdriver!!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Have you reinstalled all the Vaio-Link and MS Updates since you bought the AR?

Leetay
Visitor

Hi

Yes, spoke to Vaiolink today, they said there was a firmware update for the DVD drive, however, when installing this a message came up saying that it was not applicable to my drive.

So, they are picking it up tomorrow and say they will probably put a new optical drive in.

Seems strange how it suddenly happens after a factory reset tho!

Oh well

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Vaio-Link were quick off the mark - good on them!!!

I wonder if it is a known problem?

Leetay
Visitor

Hi

Yes, they picked it up within one day, and on time!!

I've looked at the tracking from DHL, it goes to Brussels!!!!

Wonder why that is, is that where they are repaired?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Lee,

There are 4 locations in Europe, Heathrow (not sure if it's still open), Alsace, somewhere in Germany and Brusells.