Join now - be part of our community!

Help fitting a new hardrive PLEASE A497XP

GE90
Visitor

Help fitting a new hardrive PLEASE A497XP

Hi

I would like to replace my hard drive on my A497XP, and have removed all of the screws, but the cover is still stuck at the end nearest the screen.

Does anyone khow what to do, or is there any instructions anywhere (as with replacing RAM)?

Thank you very much

PS Does anyone know if you can install OEM Vista to a hard drive,then removed the hard drive and install on a new hard drive on the same computer?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi GE90,

Here is a link for the disassembly of an A19..., yours should be similar.

Instructions for upgrading RAM

PS Does anyone know if you can install OEM Vista to a hard drive,then removed the hard drive and install on a new hard drive on the same computer?

Not quite sure where you are going on this one, can you elaborate as there could be licence problems….

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
GE90
Visitor

Thanks very much - that links is just what I needed - 2 hidden screws!

I have an OEM Vista Ultimate disc, but it would seem that I might not be successfull installing it as their are no Vista drivers on the Sony website for the A497XP......

So.....

I thought I would fit a spare hard drive, and try that first. I have been told that the OEM version locks itself to the motherboard, so I thought my plan might work....?

Thanks very much again.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I have been told that the OEM version locks itself to the motherboard, so I thought my plan might work....?

I have no experience of Vista but yes OEM versions of the Windows OS do marry to the motherboard.

The legalities of installing the OS to more than one hard disk are complicated but as long as these are used on the same system I doubt that you are contravening your licence agreement and should not experience any problems – but this is just my opinion….

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
GE90
Visitor

Thanks Rich - much appreciated.

I have put it on hold for now after speaking to Sony Support!

They cannot assure me that Visra drivers will be released for the A497XP - ever!

Not sure whar to do really, as I have a disc waiting to be used!

Cheers

profile.country.nl_NL.title
moby_toby
Explorer

Thanks Rich - much appreciated.

I have put it on hold for now after speaking to Sony Support!

They cannot assure me that Visra drivers will be released for the A497XP - ever!

Not sure whar to do really, as I have a disc waiting to be used!

Cheers

You should visit the US vaio support site and see what sony says on for example the VGN-A790 (similar us model) for vista; http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/support-info.pl?template_id=1&info_id=172
You can get some vista driver for your model or maybe you should wait to end march (that's what the europe vaio link update site says)

Tonie