Join now - be part of our community!

HELP ME! My Vaio Will Not Turn On!

DanielHusk
Visitor

HELP ME! My Vaio Will Not Turn On!

Hi Ya all,

I currently own a PCG-K215B Sony Vaio Laptop. I've had this laptop for just over a year now so it will be 'out of warrenty'.
The problem is that the laptop will no longer swich on.
I stored my laptop at a friends house in a room which was quite cold. I went to turn on the laptop the next day (the laptop was in standby mode and I hit the space bar to turn it on, which is what i normally do) and it swiched for a couple of seconds, the power light lit up and the screen showed my desktop only for 2 seconds at the most, but then it turned back off again. I tried turning it back on again but nothing happened. I've tried quite a few times since, because i thought condensation might have occured on the inside so I left it for a while as advised in the manual, and sometimes the battery light will flicker on for a split second but that would be the most response I would get!
Obvisously, there is a hardware problem, so I would like to send my laptop off for professional repair but, being that it is out of warrenty, I dont know how much it would cost or where to send it to. So, could you please help me with these questions and/or any advise will be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,

Daniel.

2 REPLIES 2
Josh-2552
Visitor

have you tried it running off the mains? it'll be because the battery's gone funny from the temperature. tell sony you have a battery issue, and request a new one; they'll propbably ask you to send yours in for testing, as they're tight.
:smileygrin:

EDIT: just noticed you're out of warranty. it'll propbably be cheaper to buy a new battery than to send it in; or, if it works out cheaper, extend your warranty and claim off it :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Daniel and welcome to Club VAIO!

It sounds like a hardware fault (expensive), but you can try a couple of things (if you haven't already).

Try Josh's solution but make sure you take the battery out before you try it on mains. A dead short in the battery would cause your symptoms. When you take the battery out, check the connection to the laptop for a short.

I know this may sound silly, but is your power supply working properly? Check it is actually providing power (or try someone elses!). These units sometimes fail. A break in the cables is also a possibility.

Does anything happen when you turn on? A virus is an outside possibility. If the CD drive light comes on, try booting from your recovery discs.

Just a couple of suggestions before you visit the repair centre!!

:thinking: