Join now - be part of our community!

Help please - disappearing things!

schnim
Visitor

Help please - disappearing things!

Heya all!

I got a brand new Vaio N11S over Christmas. I love it to bits but i had some quite serious problems with it over Easter where it kept on doing crazy things of its own accord and was basically unusable. So i sent it to a computer expert friend of a friend and he solved the problem, which was apparently too many programs automatically starting themselves and overloading my computer. He apparently switched off the excess programs and the problems were solved but since i got it back i cant scroll using the mouse pad and the volume bar doesn't show up when I change the volume.

This is getting a bit annoying and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to get these functions back?

Many thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi schnim,

welcome to club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

Click Start > Run and type in msconfig and press Enter. A new System Configuration Utility window should open click the Startup tab, then have a look to see if anything with a unchecked box in the list..

If so click the empty box to enable the programs you wish to start, press Apply and restart your vaio..

You may get a pop-up window stating System Configuration Utility you are using the selective startup for troubleshooting your system", place a tick in don't show this window again and select OK..

schnim
Visitor

Thank you very much for the detailed help...but I don't know which programs are the ones I want to switch on as they have un-guessable names like "hkcmd" and such!

Could you tell me if there is a way of finding out which boxes I need to tick?

Much appreciated.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi schnim and a warm welcome to Club Vaio,

From what you describe you need to look for and enable Vaio Event Service which you will find on the Services tab (msconfig), as opposed to the Startup tab.

If this option is not available then download the pre-installed utilities for your model from Vaio-Link and install the following (in this order), followed by re-boot.

1 Sony Utilities.
2 Sony Shared Library.
3 Vaio Event Service.

If you let us know whether you are running XP or Vista we may be able to provide more detailed guidance...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
schnim
Visitor

I have managed to get back the mouse pad utility by doing as Thalamus said. I managed to search which program I needed. So, many thanks Thalamus!

Though I still havn't managed to get my volume bar and screen brightness bar back. Rich I am running Windows XP media centre edtion and I checked whether the Vaio Event Service was selected and it was.

Could you suggest how else I could get these applications back?

Thank you!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Could you suggest how else I could get these applications back?

Try downloading and running the three utilities I listed above...

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

I have managed to get back the mouse pad utility by doing as Thalamus said.  I managed to search which program I needed.  So, many thanks Thalamus!

You're welcome schnim.. :slight_smile: