Join now - be part of our community!

help sistem crashed

tikinha
Visitor

help sistem crashed

i dont know what was the problem, but the windows starting it alwways shuts the pc and restarts... I,ve tried to recover the sistem with the discs i´ve done backup.... And i never get to restore the aplications.... it seems the file windows/sistem32/config /sistem is mising or corrupt. The sistem tels me to the original set up cd-room and do the repair, But the only thing i have is the sistem recovery disc, that is not helping me !!! I´m getting quite frustrated with this, since my knoledge of this things istd very low... Can anybody help me?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi tikinha and welcome to Club Vaio.

Your Registry System Hive has become corrupted and we will need to replace or repair it.

Some questions:

What model Vaio Do you have?
What Operating System are you using (XP Home, XP Media Centre etc.)?
Do you know if you have backed up the Registry recently?
Can you borrow a XP Professional installation disc from someone?
Do you have access to another working computer with internet access?
Do you have many programs and lots of important data on your Vaio that you need to save - or do you have most of it backed-up?

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

tikinha
Visitor

Thank blencogo, i was really stressed out; but at the 10th attempt to recover the sistem it finally worked (the odd thing is that the disc didnt help, only pressinf f12...., is my disc ruined or something???)
íf you dont mind i would like to ask you some doubts i have...
About my vaio its a vgn-c1z, and the windows that im ussing i belive its the xp media centre, i do own another compt the one i asked help yesterdy, and luckly all the thing i wanted to preserve where placed in D partition, wich was not afected by the recovery.
I dont understand what really happend, and i cant explain how the problem was solved; but im a little bit worried about the error mesage i receaved
» is it possible it happens again??
» can i know the state of the file windows/sistem32/config /sistem , the one the was missed/corupt??
»it was something i did wrong that cause this??

sorry for all my questions, and the bad english; but when i was performing the updates of all the instaled items, when the windows had to restart i went in stress!!!
If you could really help me with my doubt, ill apreciated it....

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi tikinha,

I am glad you have recovered your system.

I would make another set of Recovery discs - use a different sort. If you used DVD-R last time, try DVD+R this time. Use a good make like Sony, Verbatim or TDK.

Start -> All Programs -> Vaio Recovery Tool -> Vaio Recovery Utility and choose to Create another Media Recovery Kit.

A corrupted System Registry can be caused by many things. It could be a device driver installation or a memory problem but the most common cause is a bad sector on your hard drive. It may be a good idea to check your hard drive for errors. Make sure you are on Mains Power.

Start -> Run and type in CMD and press Enter .

In the command screen type in CHKDSK /R and press Enter . There is a space between K and /. You will probably be asked to re-boot your Vaio as it can only check all your disc before all the Windows files are loaded.

This will recover any data in bad sectors of your drive and mark it so that sector is not used again.

Good Luck.

:wink:

tikinha
Visitor

thanks!!! All seems ti be in order now.. I´ve done the chkdsk you told me and it seamed, i had problems in 2 files, wich i dont remember now.. One of them was something related to restore points,(i didnt understod that..)

lets hope that it´s a solved problem!!!

Not wanting to be a pain, do you know why some videos dont work on the media player?? It seems some codecs are mising.... where can i found them??
thanks again

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You could try downloading the K-Lite Codec Pack - you should be able to play almost anything with that.

It's quite a big download (about 16MB) but it's free !!!!!!

:smileygrin: