Join now - be part of our community!

HELP, USB 2.0 Exteranl Hard Drive Hangs System.

EGC
Visitor

HELP, USB 2.0 Exteranl Hard Drive Hangs System.

My Model: VAIO FE-11H (UK, 1.66 G Core Duo)
System: WinXP SP2 Media Centre

All Drivers / Patches up to date;
latest BIOS (beta) applied last week.

Its a relatively clean system because i just got the laptop for less than 2 weeks...

Now WHENEVER i plugged into a USB 2.0 External Hard Drives, the windows start to lose response and finally hangs the entrie windows. I'll have to hold the power button for 6 seconds to shut it down... !!! I've tried 3 different external HDs and the results are the same. ( Meanwhile they worked perfectly on my desktop and PowerBook ).

I also tested a USB 2.0 Memory Pen (256Mb) and it DOES NOT have this problem...

* btw... if my problem cannot be solved here, where can I ask for more support? i'm a UK customer and i don't want to send this brand new thing back to Belgium or somewhere for a month or so... =____= (tried e-support, don't know where to find the warrenty reg number)...

18 REPLIES 18
EGC
Visitor

anyone got any ideas?

cheers

Kris1990
Visitor

have you tryied using a different USB port or maby a different connection like firewire if you pc has that.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Are you using a mains adaptor to power the USB drive or relying on the USB port for power?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
toldcodger
Visitor

Don't know if this will help.
I had a similar problem with an old HP laptop. It only had USB 1.1 onboard, so I bought a USB2 PCMCIA card. When I plugged the USB external drive in to the PCMCI~A card it hung the system. Turns out the ENU card readers driver was buggy or corrupted. I installed an update and it was fixed.

Perhaps one or more of the USB controllers on your system is dodgy. If all else fails try updating their drivers.

Regards

Dave

EGC
Visitor

Thanks for the replies:

1. I do have tried different external hard drives but they are all USB 2.0, the VAIO FE11H does not come with the standard "big" firewire port.

2. Some of them uses exteranl power (AC) while the others are soley usb powered.

3. Please give me some ideas how can I update the USB controller driver? Do i use the Windows Driver (for i945 chipset) or VAIO driver, since i didnt see any updates on the website...

thank you

EGC
Visitor

my laptop just have 3 usb ports, how come so many drivers

and wat about the HUB thingy? should i delete some of them?

cheers...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You can use a firewire 6pin > 4pin cable for connecting to the VAIO.

Do you have 5 USB ports?

EGC
Visitor

You can use a firewire 6pin > 4pin cable for connecting to the VAIO.

Do you have 5 USB ports?

sorry but my external HDs are usb only...

and i just have 3 USB ports...

babysmile
Visitor

I have the similiar problem towards my fren VAIO notebooks. She is using FS-415B. She can use the hard disk but when it have to shut down the Windows, it won't... Need to press the Power Button until it shut..

I just thinking there is a bug on between Sony Vaio and Windows XP.