Join now - be part of our community!

Help. Won't Boot

Corsa2
Visitor

Help. Won't Boot

I have a VGN S3XP. I ear that I have the blue screen of death.

It boots to safe mode, when I ask it to boot in safe mode about 30s later it flashes a small blue screen with text below;

Stop c0000218 (reg file failure)
The register cannot load the hive (file):
systemroot\system32\config\software or
its log or alternate it is corrupt, absent or not writeable

beginning dump of phyisical memory
phyisical memory dump complete

Is there any way to recover the data on the harddrive or to repair the file or reload it from windows?

I would be grateful with any help.

Ben

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Ben and welcome to Club Vaio.

For starters have you tried selecting "Last known good configuration" instead of Safe Mode ? Press F8 when booting - at the first Vaio logo.

:thinking:

Corsa2
Visitor

Hi Ben and welcome to Club Vaio.

For starters have you tried selecting "Last known good configuration" instead of Safe Mode ? Press F8 when booting - at the first Vaio logo.

:thinking:

Yeh it gave me the following options:
Safe Mode
Safe mode networking
Last know config
start as normal

I have tried all of them it just show this small blue screen and reboots to the safe mode screen.

Corsa2
Visitor

I have tried the F8 menu as you suggusted and it made no difference.
If I'm honest I would like to just get my data recovered off my harddrive and reboot the damn thing.
Being cheeky i know but how can I get my data recovered and the best way to reinstall the machine to its default.
I have no XP discs

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Corsa2
Visitor

Thank you for the web site.

I have downloaded the patch from the website, but it mention they should be downloaded onto floppy disks.
i only have DVD drive on my PC do I just put them on a CD instead? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question?