Join now - be part of our community!

HELP

profile.country.en_GB.title
anunn09
Visitor

HELP

Hi guys I'm a student and have just got a new sony vaio VPCF11M1E with windows 7.

I have two problems; the first is incredibly annoying. The screen resolution of my vaio automatically changes on its own accord to stretch the screen and decrease the resolution. Going into the resolution settings, I change it so that the resolution is increased but the screen is always still stretched no matter what resolution I choose. It seems stretched left to right, not up and down. In order to rectify the problem, I have to do a full system restore to a date about a week ago. However this only temporarily brings the screen resolution back to normal as after about 20 minutes, it just randomly switched back to stretching the screen and low resolution. What I noticed was that after the random change to stretch the screen there is no longer a recommended resolution setting and the type of monitor it displays has changed to a 'Generic Non PnP monitor on standard VGA graphics adapter'. My GFX card is an nvidia geforce not a VGA, I wonder it that helps? It's really hard for me as I'm struggling to do my Uni work on such a terrible screen,

The other problem is that the backlight or the brightness of my laptop is incredibly weak. I struggle to see the screen to be honest, it's so dull. I've changed the brightness to maximum, but its had no effect at all, everything is still dull.

I would really, really appreciate any help you have to offer, I cannot believe this has happened already, it's a brand new laptop...

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It sounds like a problem with the nVidia Graphics - your screen is reverting to the low resolution VGA default.

Have you updated the graphics driver to Ver 188.67 (8.16.11.8867)?

Have you updated all the software updates for your model on this page?: -

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/updates/index.aspx?m=VPCF11M1E_H&l=en_GB

I see there are two Power Management updates available which may help your problem.

If not then manually download and run the Vaio Update 5.1.1.04090 and then run it and it should identify all updates not already installed.

:thinking: