Join now - be part of our community!

How difficult to replace hard drive on PC-7134?

profile.country.en_GB.title
magnumfarce
Visitor

How difficult to replace hard drive on PC-7134?

Hi  can anyone gimme any advice thnx.

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi magnumfarce

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

PC-7134 you have quoted is the chassis number which makes it difficult to find information as this is NOT the actual model number..

The correct model number can be found just below the VAIO's display, see image below..

Once you've loacted the model number let us know and we'll try to help..

magnumfarce
Visitor

Oops sorry about that its a NR32-M

Message was edited by: magnumfarce

Message was edited by: magnumfarce

peshyxp
Visitor

Hard drive replacement is relatively straightforward

You will need to remove battery first then around 26 small screws on the underside base unit using small star shape screwdrive

I prefer to use a plain white sheet of A4 and draw the location of each screw on the underside and then as i remove each one secure them on the A4 sheet with sellotape

This way i know exactly where each one goes and i dont end up losing any of the little buggers

I have attached pic of what the inside looks like and the hard drive and caddy reside on the bottom left side

Just take a bit of care prising apart the base unit and dont use too much force, if you find it doesnt easily come off there is still a small screw you have not removed

The hard drive slides out and from there on should be relatively easy to replace

Any problems drop a post here and good luck

magnumfarce
Visitor

Thanx a lot,just going to have a look on ebay for a replacement.

magnumfarce
Visitor

Hi

I've got the base off & undone 2 screws at the side of the hard drive but do I need to remove any at the other side? which is tight up against the cd/dvd drive.

thnx

peshyxp
Visitor

Can i suggest you buy from either amazonc.co.uk or play.com

Western Digital 250gb or 320gb hard drives work real good and are around £30-£35 superb value for money in my opinion

As much as i love ebay i would steer away from buying something like a hard drive given the nature of the item ie if its DOA you want to exchange it for another asap without any hassle

Cheers

magnumfarce
Visitor

It was replaced with a Western digital 250 GB but its only lasted 16 months.

magnumfarce
Visitor

How many screws hold the caddy in place?

magnumfarce
Visitor

I've got it, unscrewed USB port first.