Join now - be part of our community!

How do I get a 'simple' 5.1 sound system to work with the XL202?

Vinny007
Visitor

How do I get a 'simple' 5.1 sound system to work with the XL202?

Hi,
I've recently got my new VGX-XL202 and it's an awesome PC. I am a uni student and I bought it for a couple of reasons- in order to have a good working PC whilst at uni, but come the time to go back home, a system that would go hand-in-hand with our plasma and 5.1 sound setup. Anyhow, the question I need answering is how to connect the logitech X-530 5.1 sound system to the XL202. The X-530 has 3 connectors (all 3.5mm jacks- like the type on headphones). Therein lies the problem- how do I connect the X-530 to the XL202 to get full 5.1 sound? I'm suspecting a converter option but I don't know what. Unfortunately the X-530 does not have any input connections, so the work will have to be done thru the 3 connectors. How can this be done, and what connection on the XL202 would I need to utilise?:smileyconfused: :thinking: :thinking:

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Vinny,

Do you not have front, back and centre 3.5mm sockets? My RA104 does.

Vinny007
Visitor

Hi Kee-lo,

The XL202 doesn't come with a typical sound card...i believe cos of the Home Entertainment element it's designed for amps and such. Anyhow, its looks like this at the back:

The top line are all inputs and the next line has LR audio in, LR audio out, component (dunno if it's in or out), and the line after that has optical (toslink) in and out, coaxial out and the rest are all non-audio related connections.
:wink:

Vinny007
Visitor

Hi,

I've managed to get the system to work- had to buy an external USB sound card cos i didn't wanna open the PC up in case of voiding the warranty. The speakers are great and go well for this kinda PC. Blu-ray looks fantastic on it and games are great on it too. Unfortunately spending too much time on it and not doing enough studying !!!:smileygrin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hehe, bit disapointed that it doesn't have the right connections for Surround Sound, that's bad for Sony.

smlcool
Visitor

Hi,
I've recently got my new VGX-XL202 and it's an awesome PC. I am a uni student and I bought it for a couple of reasons- in order to have a good working PC whilst at uni, but come the time to go back home, a system that would go hand-in-hand with our plasma and 5.1 sound setup. Anyhow, the question I need answering is how to connect the logitech X-530 5.1 sound system to the XL202. The X-530 has 3 connectors (all 3.5mm jacks- like the type on headphones). Therein lies the problem- how do I connect the X-530 to the XL202 to get full 5.1 sound? I'm suspecting a converter option but I don't know what. Unfortunately the X-530 does not have any input connections, so the work will have to be done thru the 3 connectors. How can this be done, and what connection on the XL202 would I need to utilise?:smileyconfused: :thinking: :thinking:

hi vinny,

just out of curiosity..... does you xl202 record freeview from standby? i mean if you set a time recording and switched the machine on standby from the remote control, does the machine kick starts itself and record the tv.. I and a Sony technician in a Sony centre tried a few machine, namely 4 xl201 and their flagship xl202 and none of them recorded/ worked.
If after setting up a recording.. looking into SETTINGS>TV>RECORDER>HISTORY.... ALL the recordings are partial. there is a system malfunction or loss of signal and worst of all.. NO tuner card present.
another point is whereabouts in the country are you?? maybe your tv reception is stronger there.. we live in the south west in Devon...Sony Vaio Link and their techkies have yet to confirm whether there is a fault at all with OUR BATCH or a fault on all the new models..

Much would be appreciated if you could let me know by posting back. already written an article under SONY STYLE PRODUCT REVIEW.. http://www.club-vaio.sony-europe.com/clubvaio/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=37249

Thanks for your help if you could let me know.

Sai :slight_smile: