Join now - be part of our community!

How do I get a widescreen TV signal into the XL201???

ensyed
Visitor

How do I get a widescreen TV signal into the XL201???

The best input on the XL201 is s-video for TV. So my Sky HD box's s-video output is input into the Vaio. S-video only outputs 4:3 TV on Sky.
The problem is that even though I get all my TV widescreen via the component input into the plasma, viewing via Vaio I always get black bars on the sides. I connected the Vaio via component to the plasma as well.
This means that when i record anything from Sky it is recorded in 4:3. The Vaio knows that the monitor connected to it is a widescreen flat panel but it doesnt adjust the incoming TV signal to fill the screen.

Is there a way around this?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
terdarli
Explorer

I'm having the same problem here and just wondered if I'm missing something obvious?

Having done lots of searches on this and other sites, I'm still confused as to how the XL201 should be setup (I'm not exactly new to computing either so this is adding to the frustration!).

I too have Sky HD, connected to my Sony 40X screen via one of the HDMI inputs.
The XL201 is connected to the 40X via the second HDMI input.

I also have a home TV distribution system, so the RF1 output goes into the TV, and the RF2 output of my sky HD box goes back to the distribution box to send TV around the house.

The HD box is set to send 16:9 RGB via RF1/Scart. So I have a scart to composite converter which I send from the Sky scart output (labelled TV) to the composite input (i.e. the Yellow RCA) on the XL201, which I would've thought would handle widescreen (unlike S-Video)?
However, the picture still doesn't seem to be true 16:9, and quality isn't great. As far as I also understand, the S-Video out on Sky HD is only 4:3 too?
So if the only way to get widescreen via the RF2? (Which I would have to split)

I am aware of the zoom function in MCE from via the INFO button on the remote, but isn't this just stretching the image?

Thanks in advance

Terry