Join now - be part of our community!

How do you change the ''FN'' key???

profile.country.en_GB.title
SarahL2011
Visitor

How do you change the ''FN'' key???

Hi there i'm hoping someone can help me out, I have just bought a Sony Vaio Laptop Product VPCCA2S0E (Model PCG-61813M) in white.

What i want to change is that you have to hold down the ''FN'' key to changer the volume, screen brightness ect but it makes MILES more sence to have to press the ''FN'' key to press F1, F2 ect ect.

On all laptops i have owned or used before there is an option to choose the default of the ''FN'' key so you can choose to Hold down ''FN'' key to press F1,F2 ect ect OR you can choose to hold down the ''FN'' key to have to change volume and screen brightness ect ect.

This laptop i have to hold down the ''FN'' key to change volume totaly nightmare having to press TWO keys, and i NEVER use the F1,F2 ect keys.

I hope this is simple to change and i have just missed where this setting it.

Look foward to all your replies thanks

Sarah

3 REPLIES 3
SarahL2011
Visitor

Really no one knows how or if this can be done? Please anyone?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Sarah,

I understand what you are trying to do - this was originally made available on Apple Macs - but I don't think it is possible on a Vaio computer.

As you say, several other computers do make this possible, either by a setting in the BIOS or in 'Control Panel -> Hardware & Sound -> Adjust commonly used mobility settings' but I cannot find this setting on my Vaio.

Vaio uses utility programs to control the Fn keys and, as far as I can see, inverting the Fn keys does not seem to be a possibility without re-mapping the keys themselves.

However, somebody else may know differently ......................

:thinking:

pctech33
Visitor

Hi,

Just got them working on my sz370p which is similar modl as yours.

Downloaded all drivers from sony's web site and installed them and Fn keys and fingerprinter reader worked ok.

Just make sure you are logged in as administrator and have the user account control turned off.

Hope it helps.

Life is too serious to be taken seriously http://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/text-smiley.png

Message was edited by: pctech33

Message was edited by: pctech33

Life is too serious to be taken seriously