Join now - be part of our community!

How long does VAIO Standard battery go?

rraiszadeh
Visitor

How long does VAIO Standard battery go?

I have bought a VAIO FS-115S recently. It's battery has a capacity of 4800 mAh and it goes for a max of 120 min. The sony site is advertising a standard battery VGP-BPS2 which has the same 4800 mAh capacity but the site says that it goes for a max of 4.5 hours. How is this possible??? Could some body guide me in this issue?

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

As a rule Sony measure battery life with JEITA standards and MobileMark 2002 from BapCo.

It is a little misleading but under non-ideal situations this battery should last for about 3.5-2.9 hours on a modest LCD brightness setting with few plugged in components.

Never knew that, thanks

Nerm
Visitor

Hi i too have just bought a FS115S last week, i must admit the battery life is not as good as i would expect. im running brightness at its lowest level and im only getting about an hour and a half out of it. ive try'd setting the power level to minimum operation to see if it makes any differance.....im still chuffed to bits with it tho.:smileygrin:

y42y
Visitor

i just got the fs115e. the battery only lasts 2 hrs!!! how do u change the battery power so it uses minimal energy etc???

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

What you need to do in this case is this.

1. Click Start > Control Panel
2. From the category view choose Performance and Maintenance.
3. Click Power Options.
4. From here you can change how your computer uses power.

Hints to increase battery life:
1. Set the LCD to minimum brightness*
2. Refrain from using Audio applications (this uses more CPU power and therefore more battery juice).
3. Do not use the CD/DVD drive as this drain battery life very quickly.
4. Stop any CPU demanding activities.
5. Try not to use WLAN (it can give you 10% more battery life!)
6. Remove any unused PCMCIA card - they eat power.
7. Dont use many if any USB devices.
8. Use VAIO Power Management to manage CPU speeds.

God sounds boring doesn't it? But this is the best way to get as much battery life vs performance out of your PC.

* Note: You can get the power management subsystem to to this for you automatically, just set the appropriate level of brightness (level 1 = dim, level 9 = max) in VAIO Power Management.

Enjoy.:smileycool:

TygerTyger
Visitor

I know battery life published figures are usually a lot higher than real life usage, but 2 hours or less sounds awfully low even for that. There isn't that much difference between my battery lifespan and the published figures, not even close to it.

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Yeah, mine is pretty close to the published figures, I can force a maximum of about 3 hours out of mine.

Below 2 hours is very bad. I would speak to VAIO-Link about this, your battery may be dodgy.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

This battery is very nice, but very heavy!