Join now - be part of our community!

How to change the HDD on the Vaio Z1?

franciscocruz
Visitor

How to change the HDD on the Vaio Z1?

A) I would like to upgrade the HDDs on the Vaio Z1 (2X30GB 4200 rpm) to 2X100GB 7200 rpm , but I do not know how to open the case, e.g. what screws to unscrew, etc. Is there a drawing/plan somewhere? Can anybody help me?

B) My Z1 is 2 yo and has had an excellent behaviour in terms of functioning: reliable, silent, and never really heats.

Do you think the two 100GB 7200rpm hdds will produce more heat than the machine is designed to take care of?

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
stevep-4
Visitor

I took my Z1 apart to recently check for power problems - most likely a n AC cable problem.

Consider letting a laptop shop change the hard drive. The cost may not be too obscene, and you can always blame trhem if it goes pooh.

FIrstly, if you want to take the computer apart, make sure you back everything up. If you balls it all up and damage something, at least you will have saved all your files.

DO some research and download / copy all the files from Vaio-link for your particular laptop.

Also, download and read the hardware manual. Thre is a section on adding memory. This will hemlp you get the keyboard off. and access to the memory module.

You will probabaly need to remove the small hinge covers for the screen. More easily done with the screen shut.

Be very careful with any of the ribbon cables. These are very easy to tear, but also they are very easily to safely remove.

Once the keyboard is removed, and you have removed ALL the screws from the underneath (don't forget the ones in the battery bay) you will see that there are a there are a few more screws from the top.

Make a note of which screws come from where as there are a few long and short ones.

The Silver surround is still fixed to the lower case, but a strong fingernail or dead credit card helps (and causes less damage than a screw driver). Be carefull as this comes off, more ribbon cables around.

The hard drive is to be found under the area where your left palm rests.

I cannot advise you on what hard drive to buy. Make sure the hard drive is compatible and voltage supply is ok. The hard drive supplier should give you some advice.

franciscocruz
Visitor

Thank you Steve. It doesn't sound too easy, but I 'll give it a try myself first. If I can't cope I'll got to a shop. Ciao Ciao

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I took my Z1 apart to recently check for power problems - most likely a n AC cable problem.

Sorry to go off-topic, how did it go Steve?

stevep-4
Visitor

I thought that the area wher ethe power lead plugs into the lap top was loose. I thereofre considered that solder joints might be dry and needed re-soldering.

Eventually, I found that the socket is supposed to be loose-ish and there was no problem there.

The internals of the socket may be a little dirty, but no obvious signs, so I put is all back together.

I still get the screen flicker occasionally, (telling me that it is changing between AC and DC power profiles. But wiggling the plug makes no difference. I am now wondering if the cable itself is fraying internally and causing the problem. If it is the problem, then that should not be too difficult to fix (cut, solder and shrink sleeving)

Still a great laptop. Evven though it has suffered some serious abuse, cracked the magnesium case and some of the paint is polishing off. Screen is superb and still people are envious of me.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Could well be.
You can buy cheapish AC adaptors on eBay now