Join now - be part of our community!

How to connect Vaio VGN-SZ2XP notebook to TV

schase
Visitor

How to connect Vaio VGN-SZ2XP notebook to TV

I have a VGN-SZ2XP notebook and wish to connect it to my analogue TV (UK) via SCART, S-video or composite video. The notebook doesn't seem to have any video out capability other than the VGA port.

1) It's not clear to me whether this model will support output to TV.

2) Assuming it does, what are my options? All I have found so far are

- expensive boxes (£60+) that provide VGA in and appropriate video out, or
- a GBP0.99 VGA to S-video/composite video adapter cable I've only seen available on the web from the US or Hong Kong. I don't know if this would do the trick, as the cost seems incredibly low!
link to Hong Kong vendor

If the inexpensive cable will do the job, why is it not an easily obtainable item in the UK and elsewhere?

Thanks for any help in this matter.

Scott Chase

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Scott and welcome to Club Vaio.

I think you have answered your own question!!!

Your VGA socket is RGB with synchronisation and will need one of the 'expensive' boxes to work with a TV. The box is basically a scan converter which will produce an interlaced signal.

The cheap adapter will only work with VGA sockets that are 'TV Enabled'. This means that some spare pins are used to provide a composite video (or in some cases S-Video) output.

:slight_frown:

MarkEboy1234
Visitor

Hi schase

I had the same problem with my TX2 so I purchased a PC to TV connector from Maplin electronics for £39.99. It works very well and now I can output my DivX movies to my TV screen.

Good Luck

Mark.

Link to http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35258&FAQS=Y&doy=4m1