Join now - be part of our community!

How to format D drive

berkeley
Visitor

How to format D drive

I have removed all files from my D Drive on notebook K 215m but 3.8 Gig of 'nothing' remaining!!!
Tried 'format' but it wont allow this !! I have closed down everything in case something is open but no joy...
Any ideas how to clean out my 'D' drive completely so that I can start again?? It would really be appreciated..
Berkeley

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Do a scan disk with check for bad sectors

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

Start your VAIO in save mode. You have to click F8 a few times, if you start your VAIO. Format D:\ shoult be no problem in save mode.

berkeley
Visitor

Thanks, will try... Berkeley

berkeley
Visitor

Hi,
I did as sugested and started in safe mode and the format started but wouldn't complete...
Has error message that Windows was unable to complete the format...
The 'properties' shows zero bytes so all has gone but the disk is totally blue and unformatted....
Have tried in safe mode and normal mode but same error message...
Any ideas where I go now???
Berkeley

berkeley
Visitor

No, D Drive doesn't respond to scan disk or defrag because I suppose the computer doesn't recognise it....
Oh dear, I have a bad feeling about this.....
Any further help or thoughts might prevent a sleepless night...
Berkeley

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

go to the prompt or Run and type scandisk/all

berkeley
Visitor

Tried scandisk/all but not recognised by windows!!!
Any more for me???
Ta

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

If all else has failed then I suggest that you try a full recovery using your supplied CD’s and opt for the C and D drive recovery. Have a look here for further guidance on this.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
berkeley
Visitor

OK guys...
It looks like a full recovery. I think I will go and buy an external hard drive and copy most of C onto it. Maybe I can copy back the important bits when all done and dusted???
If I do this it will mean I will have 3 drives. Any sugestions as to how I should best manage that???
Maybe keep 'c' (18gb) just for the operating programme, D (18gb) for programmes and the new drive for all data???
Whats think???
Thanks for help yesterday..
Berkeley