Join now - be part of our community!

how to re-enable bluetooth

jonhomer
Visitor

how to re-enable bluetooth

Hi all,
I have a Sony VGN-FE31Z notebook running Win XP media center and have noticed that the bluetooth has stopped working. In the FAQ's it tells me to turn it back on using the wireless switch icon in the tool bar.
I remember seeing this icon in the past but it's no longer there.
More worryingly I can find no mention of any bluetooth device in device manager.
The notebook is fitted with the internal Toshiba bluetooth unit and has an external switch that turns the bluetooth & wireless LAN on and off, have tried this switch to no effect.
Any help out there would be much appreciated.
Cheers all.
Jon

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.fr_BE.title
benste
Contributor

Welcome to Club Vaio,

The utility you are searching for is called LAN Setting Utility
you'll find it in your menu or the Vaio Control Center
there you are able to reenable bluetooth.

If the blue light on the external switch is on bluetooth should be activated.
(I own the same series FE31 m)

jonhomer
Visitor

Hi, thanks for that, found the control center and yes power is on and so is the blue light.
What I don't have are any of the bluetooth icons or my bluetooth places etc and I can not make the bluetooth do anything or connect anything to the computer.
Have tried to reinstall Toshiba BT stack but it does not find a BT device.
Any help please.
Jon

benste
Contributor

Don't you have the blue B from the LAN setting utility in your task bar?

jonhomer
Visitor

No, the B icon is not there and there is no bluetooth device listed in device manager

jonhomer
Visitor

Come on guys, someone must have a clue about this, even just some pointers!!
Help please.

benste
Contributor

🙂 I was shopping and making pizza for lunch and normally it can take up to 1 day upon respose ok 🙂

one solution would be a complete recovery, that's what support hotline will tell you,
but this takes a lot of time and you ahve to save all data before it.

so let's find other solutions.
You said that no bluetooth device is found - you can check this on several places in your computer
1. (that's what I think you looked for) Windows Network Option - Bluetooth pairing
2. (don't know wheter you already tested it)
if there is no B in the taskbar the LAN Setting utility didn't detect or enable Bluetooth - Do You see a green icon for wifi or so at the left bottom? if so try to open the prgram (calles LAN Setting utility) and enable the Bluetooth adapter if possible
3. If there is no Icon for LAN setting utility search it (or the Vaio Control center) in your menu.

--> If you're not able to activate it through the LAN Setting Utility please write back

jonhomer
Visitor

Hi Benste, didn't mean to hassle just thought some one else may like to chip in as well.
Have used Vaio control center to open LAN settings. bluetooth was already switched on.
Tried switching off and then back on and it appears to enable bluetooth and then you get a window telling you that the wireless switch icon will be displayed in the taskbar.
However nothing actually happens and the icon is not displayed.
Jon

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Jon,

It's beginning to look like a hardware fault if the Bluetooth adapter is not being shown in Device Manager.

It may just not be installed correctly, so have a look through Device Manager for any unknown devices or devices with a yellow warning beside them.

Try reinstalling the Bluetooth driver by running C:\Drivers\Bluetooth\Setup.exe
Try re-installing the Vaio Wireless Switch Setting Utility. This may be available in C:\Utils but I'm not sure about your model. You may have to download the Original VGN-FZ31Z Utility Package from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/preinstalled/preinstalled.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&m=2403

and right-click on the download and select "Extract All". Choose to extract to C:\. Then Run C:\Utilities\Utils Installer Wireless Switch Setting Utility\Setup.exe

If all fails, it may be the Bluetooth Adapter which needs replacement. You may choose to buy a cheap Bluetooth USB Dongle for a few pounds rather than the more expensive option of replacing the Bluetooth Module.

:thinking:

jonhomer
Visitor

Thanks Blen,
Have tried reinstalling BT driver with no luck and can't find C:\UTILS so guess I'm going to have to download the package as you suggest.
Will try this in morning when I've got more time.
Cheers
Jon