Join now - be part of our community!

How to upgrade a PCG-GR414 SP from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
selliera
Visitor

How to upgrade a PCG-GR414 SP from USB 1.1 to USB 2.0

My wife's PCG-GR414 SP laptop (running a reinstallation of the OEM Win XP) has only USB 1.1 support which hasn't been bothersome as she is not a power user. However we have now bought a webcam which requires USB 2 for full functionality. I have spent a couple of hours trawling the Sony website unsuccessfully to try to find if there is a software or firmware upgrade available to do this. I would be grateful if someone could let me know if this is possible and if so - how. I am aware it is possible to achieve this via a PCMCIA Cardbus but this would upgrade only the cardbus ports and it would be an advantage to be able to upgrade all the computer's ports instead.

TIA.

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Afraid not!

USB support is motherboard chipset dependent so upgrading the inbuilt USB ports would require a new motherboard upgrade.

The only way is by using a PCMIA USB 2.0 Card.  Some cards only provide limited power output so try to get one that will provide 500mA.

:slight_frown:

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Afraid not!

USB support is motherboard chipset dependent so upgrading the inbuilt USB ports would require a new motherboard upgrade.

The only way is by using a PCMIA USB 2.0 Card.  Some cards only provide limited power output so try to get one that will provide 500mA.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
selliera
Visitor

Many thanks. I was afeared it would be something like that.