profile.country.GB.title
akito47
Explorer

HUGE GRAPHIC CARD DRIVER PROBLEM

Hi

I have a VAIO laptop: 

Series number: 27542764 5001369

Product name: VPCSB1X9E

The problem is, I accidentally uninstalled all graphic card drivers and now I'm stuck with the Standard VGA Graphic Adapter. I want to be able to use the graphic card i have on-board again.

*Update: My graphic card (AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series, finally appears on the device manager. I tried using VAIO CARE again, the list of drivers managed to load this time and i selected to reinstall the AMD graphic driver but it gets stuck in 35% or 41% for more than an hour so i just terminate the task.

On my device manager, in the display adapters there are 2 options (AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series (the one i want to use) and Standard VGA Graphic Adapter) I tried disabling the VGA one so I end up using the other one but once i restart it it tells me this:"No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not funcitoning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropiately for your AMD hardware". I already tried updating the driver software for the AMD graphics card by right clicking it on the Device Manager, but it didn't work. Everytime i restart my laptop after supposedly installing the updated driver software the same message appears.  

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

This is going to be difficult without knowing exactly what has been uninstalled. You should have the following 32-bit and 64-bit Microsoft Visual C++ files installed:-

VisualC.jpg

If any are missing, you will need to reinstall them.

The only ATi program installed is "ATi Catalyst Install Manager"

In Device Manager -> Display Adapters it should show BOTH AMD HD 6630M and Intel HD Graphics when in SPEED Mode but only the Intel HD when in STAMINA mode. Both will show as having an ATi driver 8.811.1.0

profile.country.GB.title
akito47
Explorer

Here is a screenshot of my programs related to Microsoft Visual C++, is there anything out of place? If so, what can i do about it?

Programs installed.jpg

I don't have a program called ATI catalyst Install Manager. 

In Device Manager, as I previously mentioned in my replies, I have AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series and Intel(R)

HD 3000 Graphics cards, not the AMD HD 6630M and Intel HD Graphics. Btw, I tried toggling between SPEED and STAMINA but it doesn't make a difference, both display adapters appear in each case. 

AMD Driver Version: 15.200.1062.1004

Intel Driver Version:  9.17.10.4229

Device Manager.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I would guess that all instances of individual drivers for both AMD and Intel must be removed by uninstalling them all and any newly installed associated programs - and then the Hybrid driver should be installed to cover BOTH AMD and Intel graphics. Hopefully, this would also allow switching between the graphics choices.

profile.country.GB.title
akito47
Explorer

Would it be enough to right click both display adapters and uninstall them? 

Do i install the hybrid driver from your link (the one that says Radeon 6630 and Intel Graphics although i don't have precisely those) or the one i found in sonyvaiodrivers.com for my mode? 

should install and uninstall in safe mode or normal boot?  

profile.country.GB.title
akito47
Explorer

Okay, so I uninstalled both of the graphics from the display adapters with their respective drivers and installed the hybrid driver from the sonyvaiodriver.com for my laptop model.

Now, I have the AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6470 and the Intel HD Graphics. I assume both are slightly worse versions of the ones I previously had on my device manager. Still nothing happens when I toggle between STAMINA and SPEED, but at least now the default graphic card is the AMD Radeon 6470 card which I assume is at least better than having the Intel HD Graphics 3000, which I used to have by default.

I am now unable to use the Intel Card at will, but that bothers me much less, so I guess the problem is partially solved. It'd be cool if there was a way to upgrade the AMD Radeon card from the 6470 to the 7400 I used to have tho. 

The driver version for both of them is: 8.811.1.0 (as you previously mentioned it should be)

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Looking at the specifications for your Vaio model VPCSB1X9E, it shows the graphics as "AMD Radeon™ HD 6470M + Intel® HD Graphics"

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/laptop-pc-vpc-series/vpcsb1x9e/specifications