Join now - be part of our community!

I killed my A297XP when I turned off the power on a USB external hard drive - USB power surge?

Teejay
Visitor

I killed my A297XP when I turned off the power on a USB external hard drive - USB power surge?

My A297XP (PCG-8R1M) died the moment I turned off the power on an externally powered USB hard drive with the USB cable still attached. I had done the Safely Remove Hardware thing in Windows but hadn't removed the USB cable before I rocked the HD's power switch - Result = Instant Death, everything went dead.

The laptop was on a VGP-PRA1 Port Replicator but I had the external HD attached to one of the USB ports on the side of the laptop. The port replicator seems to be fine as does the power supply, but no matter what I do, PSU power or battery, the actual laptop has died, no lights, no noises just completely dead. I've fiddled around inside the laptop, no visible problems, twiddled a few cables, prayed, crossed fingers, but no joy.

I took the internal HD out to get at my data and that is working fine, as is the data on the external HD (though I didn't use that external HD box again!). I then sent the rest of the computer to a company that claimed they could fix it or no charge, they changed a component (maybe a power regulator?) but that didn't work. They said the BIOS is probably blown and I need a new motherboard. Needless to say the quote was too much and they returned the machine, £29 for collection and delivery charges only.

So I'm stuck! - I see some motherboards on eBay for these machines for approx £240, much better than the £750+ quoted by the repair company, but will it be a task that is either going to be too difficult or pointless? Or does anyone have any better ideas?

I reckon I can do the replacement okay but what difficulties will I have with heat-sink compounds/pads? I see there are heat-pipes in there but am I just asking for trouble when maybe I could just sell off the parts? The problem is though I don't really know what's actually blown or broken - The whole USB power surge idea might be coincidence, but unlikely?

Anyway, be warned when turning off external USB devices before unplugging the USB cable! - I don't know if it's the general rule, but it seems to make sense - Unplug the USB cable before turning the device's power off?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions..., I'd love to fix the machine with its lovely 17" WUXGA resolution, beats the pants off this VAIO S2HP I'm currently using. Any offers for a mint condition (DOA) A297XP complete with everything as new in original packaging?

Cheers
TJ

2 REPLIES 2
BartK
Visitor

Hey teejay, sorry to hear this dude. I might be interested in the device... can you gimme your e-mail address? thx

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Damn that really sucks TJ.

Personally I'd sell it for parts now, but do state what happened, then if a Sony repairer buys them then they'll know what they're getting into