Join now - be part of our community!

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

Several members seem to have problems with their CD/DVD drives at the moment. As far as I know, there is no magic solution but you could try some or all of the following: -

1. See if there is an updated driver or updated firmware for your drive at Vaio-Link. Some Sony drives are re-badged from other manufacturers and you may have to search for updated downloads. For example, if you have a Sony DW-D56A drive, you can get a firmware download from HERE (Use PFS2). Many other drives are also supported on this site.

2. Use System Restore to return your Vaio to the configuration when it was last working normally.
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore - choose a restore date before you had the problem.

3. Look in Device Manager to see if there are any errors against your DVD/CD-ROM drive.
Start -> Right-Click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager - expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives and check the status. If there is an Error Code or a yellow triangle with a ! or ? come back here with the number and we may be able to help.

4. If there is no error and the drive is reported as working normally, try Uninstalling the drive by right-clicking on it in Device Manager and choosing Uninstall. Re-booting your Vaio will reinstall the drivers.

5. Try some different software to read/write your discs and see if that works. Also try a different brand of discs - Sony, TDK and Verbatim seem favourites.

6. Try a liquid lens cleaner on the lens and polish with a microfibre cloth ? this can sometimes help.

7. If your drive works with either CDs or DVDs only make sure the ribbon cable is not preventing the reader head from moving freely - check that the laser head in the drive can move freely for the whole range of its travel. The disc information is held on the outside tracks for DVDs and the inner tracks for CDs.

8. Last resort is to perform a full C:\ Drive System Recovery from your Recovery Discs. Make sure you back up all your Data as the contents of C:\ will be lost and your Vaio returned to the factory configuration.

If none of these work, you may have a hardware problem and you need to contact Vaio-Link. There is no point contacting them until you have carried out a Drive C:\ Recovery as this is the first thing they will ask you to do.

:wink:

403 REPLIES 403
osman.six
Visitor

I accidentally created a new thread with this post, but I'll post it here again for anyone to look over if they wish. I believe this is a very strange fault, certainly not one I've came accross fixing my own or anyone else's computer...

-----

Hi, I'm having a very strange problem with my Pioneer DVR-K15 which was supplied with my Vaio FS215M. Basically, the drive is accesible through the Command Prompt (copying files to the HDD works), and it will Autorun any media put into it without any problems, however it just will not open in Windows Explorer.

I've tried all the ways of getting in, from straight double-clicking to sneakily selecting it from the address bar, but it just does nothing. As if I hadn't even tried opening it. The same applies to right clicking and selecting "explore". I've searched for updated firmware and only found a patch that doesn't work. Also tried uninstalling the drive and rebooting, still no joy. VAIO Hardware Diagnostics also told me the drive had no errors.

Seeing as the problem arised just after the one year warranty expired, I tried and tried and eventually gave up. Just bought an external drive, which was cheaper than sourcing out another DVR-K15 and having the hassle of changing the bezel etc...

Just wondering if anyone was up for a challenge really, suggestions?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Yes - I saw your original thread and I haven't a clue really. It does seem a strange one !

My first thought was that you had somehow installed the DOS drivers for the CD/DVD drive rather than the Windows drivers - which would explain why you can use the Command Prompt and why you can't see it in Windows. It would also be possible for your other (non operating system) software to take over when playing media - giving the appearance of normal operation in Windows.

In the end I discounted this because of the Autorun and didn't reply. I couldn't see how autorun would select your player software in DOS.

What drivers does it say are installed for the drive when you look in its properties in Device Manager?

Anyone else have any ideas?

:thinking:

Hey Pianostem

Sorry I should have logged in earlier, and hope you are not now in more trouble than on the 10th of December, or you are just given up on the DVD drive and enjoying Christmas!

What I did was very simple.

Just open the CD-DVD drive. There is movable metallic block next to the wheel onto which you push CDs or DVDs, and it has a glass lens mounted on it. Carefully push this block with a finger on its edge as far as it goes away from the wheel and push back towards the wheel, being careful not to touch the lens area. Do this a couple of times, and then push it as far away from the wheel to the very end of its path and then load a DVD-R or a CD-R and close the drive.

If your problem is similar to mine, it should start working. The problem I had, or may have again, is that the block (laserhead) doesn't move freely far enough to read the header info on a DVD-R or CD-R. That is why I call this drive matSHITa! I think Sony should find a better make and replace all these!

Good luck and merry Christmas.
BP

pauls1982
Visitor

i have recntly bought a viao vgn-n11s and when i write dvds through inter video dvd they are blank however the discs look like they have data on can someone please help me,
thanks guys :tongue:

lovely_mummy
Visitor

? Replacing DVDRW Please can anyone advise... I have a Vaio PCG-FR315S with DW-U50A DVDRW drive. I have had increasing problems with the drive since it was 14months old and have done the uninstall./reinstall software & drivers stuff. I do not use the drive at all now as it will only recognise a few prerecorded discs and little else. I am thinking of replacing the drive, can anybody tell me if there are limitations to models/brands that will fit my Vaio - I have added stuff to desktop PC's but not notebooks. ( I can replace the laptop cheaper than getting Sony to look at it, have tried the online support for last 18/12). I can get a Sony DW-Q58A slimline drive - wld it work/fit?? Any suggestions out there of where to go from here :thinking: .....

dogma43
Visitor

Hi all,
Since yesterday I have been having a problem with my dvd/cd drive. It's gone from the my computer thingie. When I look into the properties of the drive (in the device manager), it says: Code 41, which basically means that Windows loaded the driver for the drive, but isn't able to find the drive. Also, the drive is in the device manager marked with a !. I have a Vaio vgn-n11m and my dvd/cd drive is a Sony dvd rw aw-q540a.

mokayad
Visitor

i have a problem with my cd/dvd drive, i contacted sony they said that i have to get a new drive, i have sony vaio VGN-A417M and the drive is DW-D56A , i found one drive sony DW-D56A but for dell laptop, can i use it in my laptop. thanks. kamal

walms
Visitor

Hi guys,
I have read all through this thread, and have not really come up with much.

I recieved my ne VGN-FE31Z yesterday, and after watching a DVD yesterday, and burning my recovery discs this morning, it now won't work!

I have a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850S, that is apparently upto date with the drivers!

But the thing doesn't work and is shrieked in the device manager, i've obviously unistalled it and re-installed it, but it doesn't work!

Does anyone else have this drive/problem?? Everything on the system is standard i've only installed, mozilla, macromedia dreamweaver, fireworks, flash etc. Itunes and Photoshop CS2! so nothing crazy!

Do sony take long to reply using e-support, i entered the info in about 2 hours ago.

Thanks guys

walms
Visitor

sorry i forgot to mention

in device description this is what is said, seems different to others codes?

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

thanks

dejj
Visitor

i had the problem with my sony FE31H and it not reading CD-ROMS, would read and write everything else. my vaio stopped working after about 2 months.

sent it off and i got another drive put in by sony, i've got a pioneer DVD-RW DVR-K16M now fitted and i had the matSHITa drive fitted before, really disappointed in the volatility of the vaio and i'm comtemplating investing in the extended warranty before october this year