Join now - be part of our community!

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

IF YOU HAVE DVD/CD DRIVE PROBLEMS - READ THIS>

Several members seem to have problems with their CD/DVD drives at the moment. As far as I know, there is no magic solution but you could try some or all of the following: -

1. See if there is an updated driver or updated firmware for your drive at Vaio-Link. Some Sony drives are re-badged from other manufacturers and you may have to search for updated downloads. For example, if you have a Sony DW-D56A drive, you can get a firmware download from HERE (Use PFS2). Many other drives are also supported on this site.

2. Use System Restore to return your Vaio to the configuration when it was last working normally.
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore - choose a restore date before you had the problem.

3. Look in Device Manager to see if there are any errors against your DVD/CD-ROM drive.
Start -> Right-Click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager - expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives and check the status. If there is an Error Code or a yellow triangle with a ! or ? come back here with the number and we may be able to help.

4. If there is no error and the drive is reported as working normally, try Uninstalling the drive by right-clicking on it in Device Manager and choosing Uninstall. Re-booting your Vaio will reinstall the drivers.

5. Try some different software to read/write your discs and see if that works. Also try a different brand of discs - Sony, TDK and Verbatim seem favourites.

6. Try a liquid lens cleaner on the lens and polish with a microfibre cloth ? this can sometimes help.

7. If your drive works with either CDs or DVDs only make sure the ribbon cable is not preventing the reader head from moving freely - check that the laser head in the drive can move freely for the whole range of its travel. The disc information is held on the outside tracks for DVDs and the inner tracks for CDs.

8. Last resort is to perform a full C:\ Drive System Recovery from your Recovery Discs. Make sure you back up all your Data as the contents of C:\ will be lost and your Vaio returned to the factory configuration.

If none of these work, you may have a hardware problem and you need to contact Vaio-Link. There is no point contacting them until you have carried out a Drive C:\ Recovery as this is the first thing they will ask you to do.

:wink:

403 REPLIES 403
anibalstereo
Visitor

sorry, i forgot to say that before not reading any discs the record now! program showed this error message:

Sense: 03 ASC: 0C ASCQ: 00 (Command 2A)
-------------------------------------------------------
Px.dll: 2.0.60.500
pxdrv.dll: 1.1.23.0
pxmas.dll: 2.0.60.500
PxWave.dll: 2.0.60.500
PXWMA.dll: 1.0.0.3

thanks in advance for any help

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi anibalstereo and welcome.

The error message is for a general write error or buffer underrun and usually means that the type of disc being used is 'incompatible media'. Have you tried a different make of discs?

The files quoted are not specific but are usually associated with WinAmp or Sonic Record Now. Have you updated either of these recently?

Another old favorite causing this error is Roxio. Do you have any of their Easy CD/DVD Creator software installed?

Sorry I can't be any more specific but you could try reinstalling these programs if you have them.

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi blue_belle and welcome to Club Vaio.

Sorry you've not had a very good start!!

Can you just check in Device Manager to see if there are any yellow warnings with ! or ? against your DVD Drive.

Start -> Right-Click on 'My Computer' -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager and expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives.

Do you have a yellow warning? If so double-click it and tell us the error code.

:thinking:

blue_belle
Visitor

Ty for reply, I already checked that and there is nothing listed at all regarding DVD drive or anything else. I have since tried again - recovered, installed updates and its gone once more, so I cant get any further.

anibalstereo
Visitor

thank you, blencongo for your message. i don´t have winamp or any roxio program installed on my computer. moreover, a few minutes before this thing started, i was burning cds without any problem.
now, it doesn´t recognize empty cd/dvd´s, but reads everything that i´ve recorded before.
yesterday i´ve tried to move the metallic block, but nothing changed...
any other idea???
thanks!!!

schrambo
Visitor

Hi everyone,

i have a problem with my DVD-Drive Pioneer DVR-K16M in my Vaio FE11S. I installed the latest driver on Vaio-Link-Page Version 1.10, but my problem, that during burning DVD's (doesn't matter if "plus" or "minus") often the process stopps before 100%! When i burn a Movie and it stopps before 100 never the less i can play the Movie in my TV-DVD-Player (till the point where the burning-process stopped). I use the latest NERO 7-Version. Any Ideas how i can solve my problems? Should i ask the Vaio-Support?

More Informations about the Setup: Windows XP SP2, Updates from Winboard Version 2.22!

Thanks a lot!
Schrambo

Sorry, but my english is not very good.... :slight_frown:

keithwarrington
Visitor

When I saw your info, I thought you may be able to help me if it's not too much trouble. My laptop (Vaio vgn-sz1hp/b) has just come up with the following message -
System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys is corrupt or missing

Is there any way out of this without using the recovery disk; I assume that if I do that, I lose all my data - that would be disastrous.

Thanks

Keith

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Keith,

Welcome to Club Vaio,

You should find a copy of the ntfs.sys file in C:\WINDOWS\I386..

Copy the file from C:\WINDOWS\I386 folder to the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder..

lizmac
Visitor

Hi. When I try to double click my DVD/CD Matshita writer, I get "F:\is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". Had a look at this on MS website but can't work out which IDE channel the burner is on. Does anyone have any ideas?
Many thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi lizmac,

Your CD/DVD drive should be the secondary IDE Channel..

Have a look at this MS solution..