Join now - be part of our community!

Imminent Smart Drive failure on FR315S

mandrake10
Visitor

Imminent Smart Drive failure on FR315S

Hi I have an eight month ols Sony Vaio PCG FR315S laptop which recently began to feel hotter - a lot hotter! - and the fan was constantly on at full tilt. Multi-tasking became inpossible as the programs were always freezing and screens would freeze even when task manager close was invoked.

About a week ago I started to get the dreaded black screen error pre boot "imminent SMART drive failure" please back up all data etc and press F1 to continue".

I ran the downloadable floppy utility from Hitachi and the temperature overall of the PC was too high and even the floppy crashed. I tried other floppies different downloads.

I can't afford the downtime on this my only machine and I'm disappointed by the "imminent failure of the hard drive and or mobo or whatever.

Should I send this back to Sony and/or is there a dealer who can facilitate repairs under guarantee near Glasgow (for quick turnaround?)

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Contact VAIO Link, I know some people who only had to wait 4 working days.

VAIOneer
Visitor

Also, as it is under 12 months old, it will still be under warranty.Try and back up as much of your data as you can before sending for repairs, as more then likely you will be getting a new hard drive

noun
1. a Club VAIO member who is one of the first to do something.
2. a Club VAIO member who helps establish a community.
adj.
Of, relating to, or characteristic of early members: the VAIOneer spirit.