Join now - be part of our community!

Installing Vista & Keeping Recovery Partition.

romaelz
Visitor

Installing Vista & Keeping Recovery Partition.

Hello,
I've VGN-AR21M and want to install Vista.
I wonder if there is a way to keep the recovery partition and have Vista sitting in the recovery partition instead of XP (as it was done by Sony).
What i want to do is to keep my recovery partition and have Vista in the recovery partition so if i need to restore my notebook it should restore it to Vista instead of XP.
At the moment I've Windows XP in the recovery partition and when i restore system it restores it to Windows XP.
If anybody know anything about this please guide me.
Thanks a lot.

Romi.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Romi and welcome to Club Vaio.

As far as I know, only Vaios which have Vista installed when new will have a Vista Recovery Partition. I do not think it will be possible to create one.

I think I would buy a copy of Acronis True Image 10 which is Vista compliant, and back up your new Vista installation (including Settings and other software) to an external drive. If you have a big enough hard drive you can make a recovery partition with this product which will load on tapping F11 on boot.

:wink:

danreed
Visitor

This may be possible to do. I work in a software packaging team and this is the sort of thing we do. I'll look into this when I receive my copy of Vista and post the instructions here.

romaelz
Visitor

First of all let me say many thanks for the reply.
Let's give it a bit time and maybe if someone can findout how to do it it would be really great to know.
In the main time let me tell u as well that the recovery partition which is hidden, i tried to make it visible and install vista in that (tired to do this using Partitoin magic 7) but this doesn't work. Recovery partition doesn't even show up in the partition magic 7.
Anyway, let's hope there is a way coz this option is really handy when u r on the move.
Thanks once again.