Join now - be part of our community!

Intermittent connection issues - Sony Vaio Duo 13 SVD1321C5E Hybrid Laptop

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
timauluck
Explorer

Intermittent connection issues - Sony Vaio Duo 13 SVD1321C5E Hybrid Laptop

Hi all,

I was wondering whether you could help, ever since I bought my custom built Sony Vaio Duo 13 SVD1321C5E Hybrid Laptop back in July/August 2013 I keep on experiencing intermittent connection issues where the connection keeps on dropping when browsing the Internet, remotely accessing the network at work using Remote Desktop and downloading files in which I have to keep on switching between our broadband connection as well as my 4G connection in order to temporarily fix the problem as well as switching between the dongle Sony provided to me when I complained back in 2013 with again switching between our broadband connection as well as my 4G connection in order to temporarily fix the problem. I'm now at a point where I am so tempted to reinstall the laptop using a fresh of copy of Windows 8 Pro as it came with this OS to begin with in which it has now been upgraded to Windows 8.1 with the latest Sony drivers, I did upgrade to Windows 10 Pro last month but was informed by Sony on their information pages that a couple of the laptop features wouldn't work when upgrading to Windows 10 Pro in which downgraded within the 30 days of upgrading to Windows 10 Pro and had to do a further refresh as the display tiles on the Metro screen in Windows 8.1 Pro wouldn't display properly and reverted back to Windows 8 Pro with all the software that came with the laptop in which I had to update everything again. I have backed up all the preinstalled software using the Recovery Media wizard as advised by Sony and would appreciate your feedback on how to go about diagnosing the issue before reinstalling the laptop with a fresh copy of Windows 8 as this issue has been plaguing me for nearly a good 2 and a half years.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
timauluck
Explorer

Hi Rich,

Thanks for posting this link, I will work through each workaround but I feel that it might be worth me starting again due to all the various problems I am currently experiencing. Thank you for all your help.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

P.S. I have now rectified the issue by reinstalling the Sony Vaio Duo 13 SVD1321C5E Hybrid Laptop with a Windows 8 Pro Retail image and reinstalled all drivers in which it works perfectly now.

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
timauluck
Explorer

Update

I have also discovered that splitting the SSIDs as well as changing the Wi-Fi frequency channel from 1 to 9 on our BT Hub 5 also rectified problem. In order to determine the ideal Wi-Fi frequency channel, I used an app called WiFi Analyzer on my Android to find the best Wi-Fi frequency channel for our Wi-Fi network and to find a Wi-Fi frequency channel that would not interfere with the neighbours' Wi-Fi networks. Another measure that helped was to disconnect the Openreach modem from the Hub 5 and to directly connect the DSL line to the Hub 5 itself as this device is no longer needed and was only meant for the Hub 3 as the Hub 4 and higher have the modems built-in. Hope this helps people out there with a similar problem.

Regards,

RocknRollTim 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi timauluck,

I'm afraid I don't have a solution for you but suggest that you read this long thread which I think is relevant to your problem.

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/pcs-accessories/sony-vaio-duo13-svd1321m2ew-poor-wifi/td-p/1264716

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
timauluck
Explorer

Hi Rich,

Thanks for posting this link, I will work through each workaround but I feel that it might be worth me starting again due to all the various problems I am currently experiencing. Thank you for all your help.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

P.S. I have now rectified the issue by reinstalling the Sony Vaio Duo 13 SVD1321C5E Hybrid Laptop with a Windows 8 Pro Retail image and reinstalled all drivers in which it works perfectly now.

profile.country.GB.title
timauluck
Explorer

Update

I have also discovered that splitting the SSIDs as well as changing the Wi-Fi frequency channel from 1 to 9 on our BT Hub 5 also rectified problem. In order to determine the ideal Wi-Fi frequency channel, I used an app called WiFi Analyzer on my Android to find the best Wi-Fi frequency channel for our Wi-Fi network and to find a Wi-Fi frequency channel that would not interfere with the neighbours' Wi-Fi networks. Another measure that helped was to disconnect the Openreach modem from the Hub 5 and to directly connect the DSL line to the Hub 5 itself as this device is no longer needed and was only meant for the Hub 3 as the Hub 4 and higher have the modems built-in. Hope this helps people out there with a similar problem.

Regards,

RocknRollTim