Join now - be part of our community!

Internet connection lost

Dietermaes
Visitor

Internet connection lost

Hi

My VAIO AR21S notebook is connected to a local network with 3 desktop PCs and 2 network printers, through a router that shares an ADSL connection.

When I use the internet on my VAIO notebook, the whole internet connection occasionally gets lost. Not only my notebook, but all the other computers in the network can't connect to the internet anymore.
I can still connect to the other computers and printers though, the LAN keeps working.

When I wait a little (from 1 to 30 minutes), the internet connection automatically gets restored.

Can someone tell me why en how my VAIO notebook causes this problem?

Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

AFAIK simply connecting a computer to the network can't disconnect the ADSL link as this is maintained & managed by the adsl router.

Does it do the same thing if you connect to the router via an ethernet cable?

Dietermaes
Visitor

Thanks for reaction! All computers (including notebook) are connected via ethernet cables, I don't use wireless network here.

As for "a computer can't disconnect ADSL", isn't it possible that some software is causing a problem that forces the connection to be broken? I don't think however that I have any software running that uses the internet intensively. I use the windows xp firewall and nod32 antivirus (which updates frequently).

robpaxton
Explorer

I would tend to suspect your router. Does the adsl connection drop when the Vaio is the only computer connected to the network?

I've never heard of any software that can force a disconnect of only the adsl link of a connected router.

Have you checked to see if there are any firmware updates on the router manufacturers site that may address the issue?

Dietermaes
Visitor

I can't disconnect the other computers, but I think the problem happens mostly when many computers are using the internet. My VAIO notebook replaces my old (clevo) notebook, so there aren't more computers using the internet now as there were before.

I can't find newer firmware for the router. I saw now that when the internet doesn't work anymore, windows displays a balloon that tells it has a "limited connection" (translation from dutch). Don't exactly know what it means, but I know that it doesn't work then :cool:

Dietermaes
Visitor

Ok I tried with another router and it doesn't change anything. When the internet connection drops, this is what I get on my (new) router. Both routers have a built in modem.

As you can see, the ADSL connection is really down (the 'up' on the picture just means that I set the connection to 'always on' in the router's configuration). And it's clearly caused by my VAIO notebook, since the problem never occurs with the notebook turned off, nor with another notebook instead of my VAIO.

I have no idea of how to solve this. Have there been other users with this problem? It's really annoying, the connection dropped 3 times while trying to post this message!

kee-lo_

Have you entered the DNS numbers your ISP gave you?

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Sometimes routers do just drop connection. Search the forum for similar problems that have been posted. Unfortunately the answer on a couple of occasions has simply been to unplug the router for a few minutes then plug it in again.

(But that was for a Netgear router)

Dietermaes
Visitor

I did enter the correct dns numbers. And i know routers drop connection from time to time, but not every few minutes.

Anyway, problem is solved! No idea what it was, but I use wireless connection now for my notebook and it doesn't drop! Thanks for helping!