Join now - be part of our community!

IR remote device

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
maublack9
Visitor

IR remote device

I have deleted my IR remote from device manager by error, Is there any way to reinstall from my recovery discs?  thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
maublack9
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Just had another dig around in device manager and found that "consumer IR device" in system devices was disabled, have enabled and success! remote now working.

Many thanks to yourself and Rich for your time and effort, it is not wasted as I have learnt much more about device manager, drivers and windows media center, because of this issue.

Once again thank you for all your help.

Regards

Maureen

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi maublack9,

Your model number may help someone provide assistance.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
maublack9
Visitor

Sorry should have said the Vaio model is VGC-LM2E .

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi maublack9,

I no longer have a Vaio with inbuilt tuner or IR receiver, but my best guess, unless anyone has a better idea, is to reinstall the AverMedia drivers:

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGC-LM2E

Alternatively see whether there is any software or driver that is specific to the IR receiver in Vaio Recovery Center – click Start > All Programs > Vaio Recovery Center > Reinstall Programs or Drivers.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
maublack9
Visitor

Hi rich912,

Thanks for the reply, I have tried the Avermedia drivers with no sucess, also the reinstall from Vaio recovery and nothing helpful in there.  I need the IR in order to use the remote to control the dvd player and all my searches points to Vaio Zone Commander but I cannot find a download site for it anywhere.

I have tried to look on the recovery discs but not sure how I do a comprehensive search of each folder on them.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Maureen

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi maublack9,

Is the IR device showing in Device Manager albeit with a yellow warning symbol?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Rich, why do I have a feeling this is a Windows MCE Remote?

Maureen, does the Remote Control have a Windows Symbol on it?

:thinking:

maublack9
Visitor

Hi to Rich and Blencogo,

The Ir remote is no longer in device manager as I deleted it from there by accident and yes the remote unit has the windows symbol on it.  It says Sony PC RM-MCE20E on the base of the unit.

Sorry if I have confused the issue with my  lack of detail.

Maureen

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Drivers for this device should be part of the Windows software.  What version or Windows are you using?

C:\Windows\System 32\CIRCoInst.DLL

C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\USBCIR.sys

In Device Manager, expand "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".  Is there an unknown device in the list with a yellow ! warning next to it?  Alternatively, is there an "eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)" showing in the list?

You can't just delete items from Device Manager - they should reappear on reboot.

:thinking:

maublack9
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

Thanks for your input, I am using Vista Home Premium, I cannot see the files you list in System32.

I have expanded the USB as you suggest and found eHome which was disabled, I have enabled and it states the device is working correctly. I have no devices with warnings in any list in device manager.

The remote has new batteries but does not appear to communicate with the computer.

Any ideas?, I can find nothing in the Vaio user guide to assist me.

regards

Maureen