Join now - be part of our community!

Is it possible to use Memory Stick Pro Duo to boot Vaio?

kindred
Visitor

Is it possible to use Memory Stick Pro Duo to boot Vaio?

My CD/DVD RW in my VAIO is not reading any disks, even though all the lights come on etc. It was working properly and then suddenly it simply stopped reading either DVD or CD. Tried removing the drivers and reinstalling but nothing is happening. Rerplacing the drive is not an option right now since the replacement is too expensive. Is there any way to perform a full system recovery on my VAIO by copying the recovery disk onto my memory stick pro-duo?

Thank you

Kindred

ps. VAIO MODEL: pcg-grt816S

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi kindred,

As far as I am aware you cannot boot from a memory stick or an external USB drive on this model.

As there is no recovery partition with your model the only option is to get the CD/DVD drive working. Have you checked Device Manager for any error codes against the drive? If there is an error code we may be able to provide a fix.

Also you could try a firmware update if your drive is one of the two that is listed here .

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kindred
Visitor

Thank you Rich. I have checked the device manager and it states the device is working properly. Updated the drive but still no joy. I guess it looks like I will have to replace the drive with a new one. I knew that my laptop could not boot from a USB drive, I was just hoping that it could do it from the memory stick! Oh well, thanks again for your help on this, if you know of anywhere aside from e-bay that I can get a cheap replacement, please let me know! lol!

Have a good day,

Kindred

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi kindred,

Did you look for a firmware update?

If you let us known the drive manufacturer and model number then someone may be able to suggest a supplier. What is the best price that you have managed to find to date?

Incidentally most laptop CD/DVD drives will almost certainly fit your model but getting the front bezel (faceplate) to fit is usually down to manufacturer/model range.

EDIT: It may also be worth cleaning the laser lens to see whether this makes any difference. Your local PC shop will be able to advise on suitable products.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kindred
Visitor

Hi Rich,

I have done everything you have advised, including firmware update. I think the blue lens is not working. The make/model of my dvd burner is a Pioneer DVR-K12D. I have seen one on e-bay but, the seller does not guarantee its working.

Thanks again for all your help and I hope you have a great weekend,

Kindred

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi kindred,

I have found a brand new Pioneer DVR-K17B for sale at £26.99. As this is the same model range hopefully you should have no problem in swapping the front bezel but obviously you will need to check this out.

Best of luck.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kindred
Visitor

Thank you Rich for your assistance on this. I have checked out the link and that is an incredible deal. I live in Canada but, this is not going to be a problem.

Thanks again,

Have a great day,

Kindred

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're welcome Kindred. :slight_smile:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat