Join now - be part of our community!

Is the Sony VAIO K series really defective/buggy?

Kei
Visitor

Is the Sony VAIO K series really defective/buggy?

This is totally serious here! Is the K series really defective?!

I can't stand it anymore. My PCG-K215B suddenly restarts itself. And also after my ultimate clean recovery (wiping every trace of past data and any viruses if there was any), the system after 1-2 days freezes itself. JUST FREEZES, and when with sound playing at back, the sound simply halts and keeps stuttering repeatingly.
I mean I absolutely cleaned it, a total wipe out, and not installing any other program onto it (just Ad-aware, Winamp, Nero, Spysweeper, and Netgear wireless card).

Seriously, is the K series bugged up?

49 REPLIES 49
mappyuk
Visitor

Final straw with the K115Z laptop. Spoke to senior techician at Sony who say that the freezing problem may be solved by doing bios upgrade. I've done this and it has frozen 3 times in 2 days. All Sony are saying is to send it in again for what will be the third time in 2 months. With their testing (they are not allowed to connect a computer to the internet and mine only seems to freeze when idling on the internet) it is going to be a waste of time. They acknowledge that they believe that I am having the freeze problems but refuse to do anything until they can replicate it.

I have written to them asking for a refund (minus a £200 wear and tear charge which bearing in mind i've barely used and has mostly been with them it is pretty generous on my part!)

William
Visitor

Sounds too "fair" to me what about the grief and stress they have put you through.

Full refund I say and Sony for once - IF THERE IS A PROBLEM ADMIT IT, you can afford it.

William

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Well I would tell them to give me a full refund, all this messing around has wasted time.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Thats unnecessarily generous of you. If they believe you have a problem and they have had it for most of the time it doesn't even make sense to charge you for wear and tear. Stand your ground man.

kee-lo_

£200 wear and tear is being VERY nice indeed.

tellingd
Visitor

Wear & Tear? £200?

If the 'support' boyz had worn me out like that I think I'd be tearing them a new arsehole :angry:

And they could have it for free :devil:

kee-lo_

Yeah don't offer them any money, they messed you around big time.

mappyuk
Visitor

I understand but I just want a solution to this situation. If they stand firm and state that they will do nothing unless they replicate the problem it reaches a stalemate and I lose out as I haven't got the use of a laptop and have technically lost £1300 as I wouldnt even be able to sell the laptop on unless I said it was defective so probably wouldnt get much change out of £100.

The whole situation is causing me untold stress now and I feel I dont know where to turn.

Is it right that legally they don't have to do anything unless they can replicate the problem? It is not my fault that they can't. It happens to me quite easily however they refuse to test it in the exact way that it causes problems to me.

Really tired of all of this now...

tellingd
Visitor

Going back to the earlier post, have you tried the vendor? Maybe take it back and ask for FULL credit against another machine (not K series :smileyrolling_eyes: )

TygerTyger
Visitor

Trading Standards - Personal Computers

In short, if it has a fault you are entitled to repair, replacement or refund. It doesn't specifically mention your situation in that the manufacturer cannot replicate the problem. But in this case it is more a case of 'will not' rather than 'cannot' because they haven't actually tried what you must do to trigger the fault. Take a look at the part called 'Problem Solving', which confused me frankly because I'm still not sure if you should be dealing with this with Sony or the vendor. My feeling is that you should start with Sony, since that is essentially where your problems are at the moment, if things fail there try the vendor.

In the end the last recourse is legal action, and if all you have to do to prove your computer doesn't work properly is take it to court and plug it into the net, Sony don't have a leg to stand on. You are in the right, they are in the wrong and being difficult smeggers to boot.

Edit: I might also add that if they actually wanted to plug it into the net and test it then they would. Plenty of companies bend the rules when they need to, it's pretty stupid to say 'Nope can't do that' and then sit there waiting for you to provide a solution for them.