Join now - be part of our community!

Keyboard removing

condrix
Visitor

Keyboard removing

Hi,
I've got a PCG-FR215H and looks there is a problem at the keyboard. Not serious but like to remove if for a short time. If someone could tell me (prefering step by step) it'd be appreciated :slight_smile:

cheers joe

http://condrix.fw.hu

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

It was a simple procedure on earlier models Joe, and I have a feeling that Sony have cottoned on to this to ensure that you have to use their support.

Try posting your query at Vaio Village

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
condrix
Visitor

Thanks Richard,
I had to change my 40GB HD to a 60GB, there wasn't any problem or trick but now I want to change the DVD writer and I just can't figure how could I remove the old one.
Anyway: I'll remove all visible screws bolts whatever and will see. At least I hope :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Good luck

condrix
Visitor

Good luck

First of all I had to buy a new screwdriver set, but the job was easy. Had to remove one screw from the right side of the DVD drive from the bottom, and other two from the hard drive bay. Pulled out the original Toshiba DVD, pushed back the new Panasonic UJ-811 and bingo.
(I removed all the screws from the bottom (plus two from the battery holder) but I couldn't lift off the keyboard.. anyway it isn't too important)

BTW: I don't use any recovery discs. I installed the latest XP with SP2 to the new HD, and the necessary drivers from the Sony site and all runs good. (A week ago I installed Longhorn (alpha) just to have a look, it runs fine on the laptop but damn it: when I try to install any programs they say "wtf:it is not a win98 nor Me" :laughing: )

kee-lo_

Congratulations, glad it all went well :slight_smile:

condrix
Visitor

Lol I didn't mentioned that a week ago my original 40GB hard drive has been replaced by a new 60GB one and I thought I have to remove the keyboard to change the DVD writer as well, (because that Thosiba thingy wasn't perfect from the very start so I bought a new Panasonic DVD-RAM):smileygrin:

kee-lo_

DVD-RAM? Thought they were knocking that on the head?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

I think they are, DVD-RAM used to be the most pospular type of disk, now it looks like it will be made extinct.

condrix
Visitor

Hehe, it looks a bit confusing, sorry I wrote it w/o thinking about it, anyway Nero Info says: Matshita DVD-RAM recorder :slight_frown:
But we know DVD-RAM just a media or so... :smileygrin: