Join now - be part of our community!

Laptop to TV connection using a VGA cable

garyenl
New

Laptop to TV connection using a VGA cable

Hi,

Having failed to get my laptop (VGN-N38E/W) talk to my HDMI TV via a converter box, I tried getting it to connect to my portable TV which has a VGA connector.

I have connected the VGA cable into back of Laptop and TV and changed all the properties in the graphic properties area and all I get displayed on the TV is the screen saver, and not the actual dispaly. I have also turned presentation on but it has made no difference.

I have tried getting a response from Sony support - but I got a standard useless response!

Is there something very basic that I am missing, could the graphic card be damaged, although in device manager it is stating it works fine, and I have updated the driver to the latest one from the Sony website applicable to my laptop.

Any help appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Not having a Sony laptop, but you would normally do the following

1. Connect VGA cable from laptop to TV
  2. Select the "PC" input channel on the TV itself.
  3. Change the display output on your laptop (on mine it is FN+F4), you may have to repeatedly tap F4 (or whatever key), whilst holding down the FN key as it cycles though some other options
  4. All done, jackpot!

Can you confirm that, that is the case?

Cheers

garyenl
New

Hi,

Yes followed all those steps on mine its Fn and F7 - but all I get is the screen saver, no icons, and no display of the actual webpage that I am on.

Any suggestions?