Join now - be part of our community!

Laptops in the hold ...

profile.country.GB.title
lyapple
New

Laptops in the hold ...

... any tips anyone? Not sure I want to risk it, even with the suede protective case for my VGN-T2XP, the carry bag and buried between layers of clothing. Ideas/reassurance folks?:smileyconfused:

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

I wouldn't risk it.
(but thats only based purely on my suitcase coming back with large dents in it)

Mind you if you're travelling in the next day or two I don't think you're going to have much choice. (It should be okay properly packaged but is it worth the risk?)

profile.country.GB.title
lyapple
New

There was some spokeswoman on the News who anwered a question about business people being unhappy with 'get used to it'. May be a longer term thing.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Pandora,

Don't do it, you're best using an internet cafe where ever you're going.

http://www.cybercafes.com is your best guide

profile.country.GB.title
lyapple
New

Thanks both of you - I've also seen Hits UK's post. Seems my instincts were right.

Feeling pretty sorry for the poor so-and-so's who had no choice in the last couple of days.

HITS-UK
Visitor

I don't want to see another airport for a LONG time!

Really impressed with the way that the staff at LHR and LGW handled the situation though.

There are some Brits I would never let on a plane though ... talk about the "... surely it doesn't apply to me ..." syndrome!

faithx

I agree with the guys, I wouldn't put my laptop in either. I've experienced damaged cases on a few occasions as well.

I agree HITS, it seems to have been handled very well. And to be honest I would be much happier if the current security became the norm.

kee-lo_

Hmm I think they handled it correctly, but I think they're going to have to re-think this - as some people really need their gadgets to be in a safe place and not destroyed by the airport staff at the other end.

Maybe a "give them to us and we'll scan them, and put them in the over-head locker" idea would be better

Steve755
Visitor

I have taken my VGN-T2XP abroad twice now and both time it was hand luggage and both times it wasn't working when I got to the other end. First time required a system restore and the second time (last week) it was so badly screwed up it needed a clean wipe of the HDD and reinstall! So, I couldn't use it at all while away.

Coincidence? I dont know.....I'll let you know after my next holiday, but I'll be taking a recovery disc this time!