Join now - be part of our community!

Left Mouse Button Not Working Well

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
dandronikou
Visitor

Left Mouse Button Not Working Well

I bought my Sony VAIO: VPCE Series before christmas (few months ago) and now the Left Button of my mouse is not working well. In order to function I have to press it really hard. The right button works perfect.

Any ideas/suggestions how to solve this problem?

Thanks

Tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IE.title
KBL007
Explorer

This seemed to be dust related. A good clean out with compressed air and all was back to normal.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

This sounds like a hardware problem and will probably need a repair.

You can try changing the touchpad controls in Vaio Control Centre and see if that helps but I think I would speak to Vaio Support and discuss the way forward.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.IE.title
KBL007
Explorer

I am having the same problem with my VPCF24C5E bought last May.

It does click but I can not keep it clicked to highlight anything. :slight_frown:

I have already contacted support.

You would think that a laptop like this would have long lasting hardware installed expecially one that cost this much.

Dan, how did yours turn out??

Message was edited by: KBL007

Message was edited by: KBL007

profile.country.IE.title
KBL007
Explorer

This seemed to be dust related. A good clean out with compressed air and all was back to normal.

profile.country.IE.title
KBL007
Explorer

Happening again.

Not even a blow out is doing anything this time.

Very disapponited that an expensive laptop like this suffers from such poor hardware regarding the mouse pad and buttons.

Not even two years old yet.

Also tried this:

I've actually had the exact same thing happen to me just now.

I'm using a vpc-f13z1e, and got it/started using it 7 days ago.

When I woke up my VAIO from sleep today, the left button and touchpad tap didn't seem to work any more. (An externally plugged in mouse, works fine though.)

I tried rebooting, removing the battery, blowing under the button (in case some dirt got lodged there). But non of that worked. So I also started to fear Hardware malfunction.

However, in the end I managed to get it working again. So if you haven't done so already, perhaps try my steps below. It might prove helpful.

This is what I did:

1. Press the "Windows"-key or click on the start button and search for "Device Manager" (the name can vary based on what language you've installed your operating system.)
  2. Go to the section titled "Mice and other pointing devices" and expand it.
  3. Select, what most likely will be called "Alps Pointing-device", and right-click to select "Properties"
  4. Go to the second tab in this new pane, and select REmove (or Delete) to remove the Driver.
  5. Windows will ask you to restart in order for the changes to take effect, so simply reboot.
  6. After rebooting, you'll notice it still doesn't work, but that's ok. If you go back into the Device Manager, you should notice that the "Alps Pointing-device" has been replaced with the label "PS/2 Mouse". That's ok.
  7. Next up, hit the "ASSIST"-button on your keyboard, and the "VAIO Care" program should start up. (I'm running VAIO Care 6.3)
  8. Go to the second last option in the list, called "Repair" or "Recover". (Sorry I can't be specific about the label, I'm not running a English version myself). It should be the last item above "Contact Sony" with a green badge icon.
  9. Select the second option on the left, which should yield 3 options to the right. On the right you need to select the first option: "Reinstall Applications and Drivers" (or a label similar to that). Should be an icon of a CD in a box, with a green arrow.
  10. When the next dialogue box opens, hit "Next". On the following screen, scroll down to "Pointing Driver (Alps)", select it and continue.
  11. After installing the driver again, Windows will again ask you to reboot, so feel free to do so.
  12. After booting back up, the touchpad should be working normally again. Atleast that was the case for me

No Change.

Like everyone on this forum, trying to get my laptop to work on the touch pad buttons.

Read all the 'so called' repairs which as most follow-up comments reveal does not work properly, so I can only relay to you all what I have found.

Purchased a second hand laptop only to find both bottons didn't work.

Thought I would just strip the laptop and clean the contacts manually, and thats when my problems started.

It turned out that the 'buttons' where not a seperate part but were soldered to the main motherboard so in for a penny, in for a pound, proceeded to remove the motherboard ( you need to be VERY BRAVE to do it ).

Once the board was out, I could see that no amound of compressed air could clean the contacts as they were well hidden.

SO, VERY CAREFULLY removed the spring clip on top of the micro switch to remove the button and spring disc inside to find !!!

It was clean with no dust inside ?? but when the spring disc was turned over, I found the underside of the disc had OXIDISED causing the disc not to make contact when pressed.

Cleaned the disc with metal polish on a cotton bud, rebuilt the computer and it NOW WORKS FINE !!

Come on SONY, for the sake of a non tarnishing spring,, all these problems for all your loyal customers  would be a thing of the past.

I MUST REMIND all people that follow this repair method to be VERY CAREFULL when stripping the laptop as it can easily be damaged, otherwise use a laptop mouse and forget the buttons but hopefully this may help people understand the problem.

If anyone needs help, drop me a line and I will try to help.