Join now - be part of our community!

Linux modem

georman13
Visitor

Linux modem

Hello everybody
I have the PCG-K115M vaio and decided to install a linux distribution (mandrake 10)
It works fine in general but it seems that it does not support/have drivers for the modem. I did some googling but nothing good came up. Any suggestions?any vaio-linux users around?

Cheers
Manos

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

I have heard that SuSE 9 does support the modems in many VAIO's but you probably have a Winmodem instead of a Linmodem. Apart from being one letter different, they are designed only and exclusively to work with the respective operating systems...

Sadly Sony seem unlikely to release alternative drivers - try downloading a Connexant or Rockwell driver for Linux and try that - it may work.

SuSE does support many modems and it retails at approximately £20 personal and £40 professional - the difference being professional supposidely has more drivers and better support for your hardware.

benistaken
Visitor

hey,
I managed to install fedora on my vaio desktop, I managed to sort most things out - but the modem caused me grief, I think the problem was that the modem in the vaio was more software than hardware - I image this is good for making smaller computers that look cooler - but it turns into quite a mare when you change the operating system.
I ended up just getting broadband and using the ethernet port, but I believe the closest I got to a solution was something called linmodem (as apposed to winmodem).
have you had a look at www.linux-laptop.net - there are lists of laptops that have had linux installed on them, and it usually tells you any problems encountered and how they were overcome... good luck anyway.
ben

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

I managed to install fedora on my vaio desktop

Great! I only used SuSE to set an example - fedora core and mandrake seem to be very popular with VAIO owners at the moment - sorry I didn't mention it!:smileyd_oh:

Thanks also for the link!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

My friend had trouble with Mandrake, I think he ended up going to sourceforge and getting a WinModem driver, but it was really buggy!

benistaken
Visitor

yeah - I managed to get it on my desktop, but if you check out the next thread, I'm not having such a smooth ride installing it on my laptop.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Fedora and SuSe are the best for VAIOs

georman13
Visitor

thanks people for the feedback,
it turns out that my problem is that I have a winmodem, and not a popular one (CXT:smileyconfused: ) and i couldnot find any drivers.
My back up plan is to use my old external modem...
if I come up with anything more impressive than that I will let you know!

Cheers
Manos